Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

9 Mar 2020

Greetings,
    Nothing really to report except that I've been working a lot at the day job and sleeping when I can. I have things I want to get done in the shop but I need time to get them done. My hope is that the day job eases up a bit this week so I can spend some time in the saw dust pile.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I also hope you get a little relief around your time, Dennis...not just so you can enjoy things outside of work, but also for your health.

Busy week in the shop working on a client commission for 12 locker doors for an equestrian facility. The pine I'm using (required for the job) has been a little challenging to fully insure it's stable, but with patience, I finally got it milled completely earlier last week...just in time for the idler wheel in my J/P that handles the feed for thicknessing to give up the ghost after 17 years. (The new part arrived from Italy on Saturday, is installed and everything is back to working properly) Everything then got the panel slots routed and then cut to length followed by a lengthy session of "dancing with the Domino" to get the mortises cut. Everything is now ready for the panels and that material will be ordered today and delivered tomorrow. Hopefully, this job will be complete by the end of the week. I have some CNC cutting to do for another customer and did some of the prep work for that last week and on the weekend.

One other thing I faddled with on the weekend, outside of the time spend cleaning up leaves and debris from round our patio/pond/driveway, was the start of planning for a new worksurface for my main bench and for the downdraft surface that will grace my new auxiliary bench. The former needs to be replaced as it's no longer flat and also doesn't match my needs/desires for a bench surface design. The latter has been a "want" for a long time, especially now that I do a little more hand sanding than I used to given the guitar builds and smaller CNC produced stuff like boxes and ornaments. I'm going to be using these PowerTek inserts for the downdraft setup...they already incorporate "soft" support for a workpiece and moveable stops. Further, I can pull them out in a few seconds and replace them with a solid panel for when the auxiliary bench is being used for assembly purposes. I kinda knew about them, but watched a video at the end of last week by Chris from Highline Guitars where he used them for his quick and dirty downdraft project. That convinced me to click on Amazon...

IMG_6868.jpg

This week, as noted, will be moving along the door project, hopefully to completion, and CNC work. Maybe I'll have time to start on the work surfaces, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got the first layer of insulation (mostly) installed on the ceiling of my shop. It hit the low/mid 60's yesterday, and it's already making a huge difference over an exposed steel roof. I'm now looking forward to, and dreading, getting another r13 up there and some sheetrock to cover it all.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Worked at my son's house again both days of the weekend. The only time I was in my shop was ripping a couple of 2x4s do to mount some plumbing in his basement.

Finished up conversion of a 5K generator to electric start, and added shop made mobility to it. Took two tries to get what I wanted in handle to pull generator around. Cleaned up a lot of storm debris. Worked on repairing electric fence. Spent some shop time with Drill Doctor sharpening a few bits. Picked up a 12 gallon oil less DeVilbiss air compressor at dumpsters ( it works.) Needs new air filter, and part of the motor cover. Replaced ignition lock cylinder on Ford van. Refused to let me remove it, without drilling it out. Baked a cake for two friends birthdays. Made some chicken soup for friend who is sick with a bad cold. And, of course, made biscuits for the usual crowd on Saturday morning

I picked up enough material to build one or two of my office cabinets as prototypes, got that cut to rough dimensions and am working on solid edge banding of the plywood. Ordered and received all the grass hinges and drawer slides. Built a few jigs and fixtures to simplify construction.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

7. Got my router table build to within two drawers of done!
    Riped and planed the stock down and have started the dovetails for those last two lower drawers and aim to finish by this weekend if i can get an evening in the shop.

IMG_20200305_065201_644.jpg

IMG_20200304_064131_397.jpg

Cheers, Dom

All I managed to do was catch a cold.

For obvious reasons my employer doesn’t want me at work so I’m home....Rod