Thread: Suggestions for beginner

Suggestions for beginner

I have a 2HP Harbor Freight dust collection and have some questions about whether or not to vent outside instead of purchasing a canister filter. Heres my situation and setup. I have a 1 car unheated detached garage that I'm using for my part time hobby diy wood shop. At the back end of the garage is where I would like to vent outside if I choose to go that route. My blower is mounted to the back wall of the garage and would like to vent out there. By my garage door (at the opposite end), I have a service door that the bottom part of the door was installed a doggy door with a single flap so I know that air can get in, or escape through this not well sealed opening. The garage has no windows so if I go the route of venting outside, I would have to cut a hole in the back wall of the garage and I was thinking possibly using a dryer flap opening that only opens when the DC is on. I also have to note that my garage is not insulated at all, just drywall up around the garage. During the winter months I use a kerosene forced air heater that is by the garage door (front part of the garage), and blows torwards the back. My DC system I am setting up is with 4" pvc sewer pipe .
    I have done some reading on the forums but dont seem to come up with any answers to my specific questions. With my setup and situation, do I have to worry about backdrafts, or the possibility of a fire, explosion with using my kerosene forced air heater? My setup before I was using a shopvac with 1 1/2" pvc that worked ok at best but am looking for setting up a little better system. With my previous system, I could run the heater and the shopvac with no issues. Also, if I decide to vent outside, if I understand correctly, I wouldn't need a filter or bag with this type of setup. Just trying to find out what the advantages and disadvantages to venting outside would be with my current situation and setup.
    Thanks in advance for all feedback and opinions.

Add a canister filter. Between being cold when your hot air is rapidly pumped outside, the possibility of backdrafts/combustion fumes, and getting the right air supply and outlet, canister filter will work and be safe.

Bruce

Have you done the math on the DC CFM and your shop volume? The stated CFM for the HF 2 HP dust collector is 1550 CFM while a 20' x 20' x8' shop has a volume of 3200 cu ft. Chances are the actual CFM will be less but with the stated numbers you would be pumping 100% of the shop's heated air outside every 2 min or so. You are already fighting a losing battle trying to heat an uninsulated shop (depending on your location), it will get much worse if you vent outside. Are you installing a seperator like a cyclone or Thien baffle? If not you will be blowing chips outside not just the fine dust that a canister would collect. That may or may not be OK depending on your location.

I have the 2hp HF DC mounted on top of a super dust deputy and discharging outside. I have snap lock 5 inch pipe going to three drops with 5 inch metal gates. I did a crude measurement in my table saw (Sawstop PCS) of about 450 CFM. I discharge through a 6 inch dryer vent with louvers that open when the DC pushed air past them.

My 14x24 shop garage is insulated but not heated or cooled, normally. If I get cold I sometimes use a little resistance heater - electric. My dog insists I have a door open for her to go in and out. In the summer I use a box fan both to help it feel cooler and to move dust out.

I don't know about fumes but I haven't noticed any difference in comfort in the shop with the DC going (other than less dust). I think the door open for the dog makes more difference than the DC but that is not a measurement, just a guess.

In my old shop I had a cartridge filter on a smaller DC. It definitely filtered the air better than the bad and better bags I used but I did not like cleaning it. Venting outside eliminates the cleaning and improves airflow a little versus a clean filter and a lot versus a dirty one.