Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm Cameras

35mm Cameras

Is there a market for used 35mm cameras? In this digital age are they even desirable to anyone?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Put it on eBay and find out- When I met the wife back in '91 she had a CED video-disc player. Not the 'laser-disc' that was fairly popular for a few minutes, these 12' discs were black, inside a plastic case that inserted into the machine. We got tired of it taking up space so we put it on eBay-- sold for like $235! Never know...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Depends on the brand and the model. I sold a Nikon F a few years ago and didn't get a lot for it. Of course, that was a popular camera and there were a lot of them sold.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Many college photography courses require 35MM cameras. Might want to look into donating to local community college.

The Cannon lens are compatible film and digital for the last 30 years or so until this year when they switched the mount. So at least the lens may have some value?
    Bil lD

There's already 445 cameras on the bay that are the same model as mine. I think that diminishes my chance of a sale any time soon.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    There's already 445 cameras on the bay that are the same model as mine. I think that diminishes my chance of a sale any time soon.
    That is astonishing !

Film cameras "in general" is a very depressed market. Most buyers are either enthusiasts or students who are required to use film for HS (and sometimes college) art classes. I picked up a Nikon body for like 50 bucks when my younger daughter had that requirement for a class in high school. There are also some high-end bodies that have cult following that can bring reasonable money if in really excellent condition. The same is true for something rare. Patience is required, however. If you have something that was more of a mass market body, you're unlikely going to get a whole lot of money for it. DSLRs took over the market many years ago and even they are starting to be superceded by mirrorless designs.

You may actually do better with any lenses you have when it comes to selling, depending on brand. Older Nikon lenses, for example, are still useable on many of the current DSLR bodies; at least the higher end ones. Good glass is always in demand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Where can you get film developed? Does Walgreens offer the service?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Where can you get film developed? Does Walgreens offer the service?
    Yes, one can still get film developed through most pharmacies as well as from specialty firms via mail order. It will be interesting to see how much longer that lasts, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, one can still get film developed through most pharmacies as well as from specialty firms via mail order. It will be interesting to see how much longer that lasts, however...
    Unless you find an old exposed roll of Kodachrome. That was my favorite color film. The last lab to develop Kodachrome processed the last roll in 2011 or 2012, different articles have different dates. It may still be processed with B&W chemistry.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

drugstores around here pulled all their in-house film processing machines a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Cannon lens are compatible film and digital for the last 30 years or so until this year when they switched the mount. So at least the lens may have some value?
    Bil lD
    I'm not familiar with Cannon but if you use an old Nikon lens on a modern camera it's completely manual - focus and f-stop, just like when you used it on your old camera. That's not appealing to most people with new cameras.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Is there a market for used 35mm cameras? In this digital age are they even desirable to anyone?
    It really depends on the particular camera. Some 35mm cameras are highly desirable in the used market. There is a decent camera collector's market.

Don't count film cameras totally out just yet. In recent years, film has made a pretty big comeback, somewhat like vinyl LP records did.
    Analog film has a different look that appeals to some discriminating photographers, and for certain niche areas of photography, film is superior to any digital camera in production.

Fuji is a company that has made an amazing transition from being a film manufacturer to now being one of the dominant digital camera makers. One interesting thing they have done in the X series is include film simulation modes so the camera can emulate the film characteristics of some of their venerable film flavors like Velvia, Provia, Astia, and a mode called Classic Chrome which basically emulates the look of traditional E process slide film for a 60's and 70's look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm not familiar with Cannon but if you use an old Nikon lens on a modern camera it's completely manual - focus and f-stop, just like when you used it on your old camera. That's not appealing to most people with new cameras.

Mike
    I have a lot of auto focus lenses from the film days that work just fine and dandy on my D850 I also have factory converted AI lenses that work as you indicate. Nikon hasn't changed their mount since the F, so there's a lot of glass out there. However, to use the AI lenses, you generally either need a pro-body or a prosumer body.

Canon changed their mount at least two times that I can recall. I'm not sure what bodies their compatibility is.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut