Thread: Is this Japanese Chisel as magical as it looks in this fellows hands? I want one!

Is this Japanese Chisel as magical as it looks in this fellows hands? I want one!

Waiting for the ball game to come on today, (Go Tribe!) I came across this video https://youtu.be/f7HaAZ1ugcA

Yes it's soft wood and the water trick is debatable but, omigosh, it looks like he's cutting Brie! My chisels are sharp but they don't do that. I come from a long line of scoundrels and refugees and am constitutionally unable to spend on the deluxe but I would quickly drop a Franklin on one of those.

What's it called and how do I get one? Just cruise on over to Woodcraft and, "excuse me, sir...."?

Blog Entries
    IMO, it is the craftsman more than the chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think you are going to need the shoes, too.

There's a hidden cost to owning fine Japanese steel : you'll need associated waterstones designed to keep them sharp.

Results shown in the linked videos come after mastery of getting good blades right.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...anese-chisels/

I only skimmed the video, but did he ever pare the end grain? That's the real test of chisel sharpness IMO. All I saw was paring cross-grain which doesn't require an especially sharp chisel at all.

In this case, I don't think it's the craftsman or the tool; it's the joint.

I don't mean to poo poo anyone's skills, but paring a lapped joint like that is quite easy because everything is cross grain. It can be done with the most basic of tools and ability. The sawing is good, tho

Yes, he did indeed pare end grain....and chop end grain.....And, yes I watched the entire video, and then watched a couple others, as well......sound didn't quite mesh up to the action, towards the end....

Hmmm, must have been a different video I watched....about that half blind goose neck joint.....but with the same chisels, and saw.....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-09-2020 at 1:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    IMO, it is the craftsman more than the chisel.

jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Lucas View Post
    I only skimmed the video, but did he ever pare the end grain? That's the real test of chisel sharpness IMO. All I saw was paring cross-grain which doesn't require an especially sharp chisel at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    In this case, I don't think it's the craftsman or the tool; it's the joint.

I don't mean to poo poo anyone's skills, but paring a lapped joint like that is quite easy because everything is cross grain. It can be done with the most basic of tools and ability. The sawing is good, tho
    As mentioned in my previous post, it isn't the chisel as much as it is the person who sharpens it and uses it:

More Paring.jpg

This is a 1" Buck Brothers socket chisel on cedar.

Paring a Tenon.jpg

Same chisel as above, this time on borg in a box fir.

Let the Paring Begin.jpg

This is a Union Hardware 1-1/4" chisel used on cedar.

One doesn't have to pay big money to get big results.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Waiting for the ball game to come on today, (Go Tribe!) I came across this video https://youtu.be/f7HaAZ1ugcA

Yes it's soft wood and the water trick is debatable but, omigosh, it looks like he's cutting Brie! My chisels are sharp but they don't do that. I come from a long line of scoundrels and refugees and am constitutionally unable to spend on the deluxe but I would quickly drop a Franklin on one of those.

What's it called and how do I get one? Just cruise on over to Woodcraft and, "excuse me, sir...."?
    I don't think you need to spend $100 to get a chisel that can do that. The Ashley Iles are about $30 each, depending on the size. I admit to thinking about the Japanese chisels from time to time, but the Iles were a significant upgrade from my hardware store set, and the price is reasonable.

If, however, you do wish to look into Japanese chisels, google Covington and Sons Tools. Stan Covington lives in Japan and sources edge tools directly from Japanese makers. A number of us SMC members have purchased from him. His site also has an extensive blog on sharpening, to give you an idea of what’s involved.

There are reasons that Japanese chisels are great, but any chisel that you can get that sharp will pare wood as good. Here is a picture I already had in the gallery here, of an old 10 buck Marples chisel rolling up ridges left by a fine toothed backsaw on a tenon cheek offcut. The lighter shaving in the background is the one in the micrometer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or...like this Timber Framer firmer chisel....
    Chisel sharpening day, peel a bit.JPG
    That somehow manage to put a 1/4" cut on the left index finger....and I never felt....Chisel is 1-1/4" wide....but, I don't think it would be a paring chisel..
    Chisel sharpening day, not a paring handle.JPG
    Only markings on it, are 2 L.L. stamped in the back of the blade....Doubt IF L.L.Bean sold a line of chisels...

I love my L.L. Bean being from Maine but I'm going to go on a limb and say that that is something that they would never have made.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

shhhhhhhh... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As mentioned in my previous post, it isn't the chisel as much as it is the person who sharpens it and uses it:

One doesn't have to pay big money to get big results.

jtk