Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctored Up Baked Beans

Doctored Up Baked Beans

At a family gathering we were talking about how we fix baked beans. Get a can and doctor them up.
    How do you doctor up your baked beans?

Van Camps baked beans.
    Mustard
    Ketchup
    bacon
    Brown sugar
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Onions and Indian spices like cumin and mustard seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    At a family gathering we were talking about how we fix baked beans. Get a can and doctor them up.
    How do you doctor up your baked beans?

Van Camps baked beans.
    Mustard
    Ketchup
    bacon
    Brown sugar
    Cut it out with the brown sugar, and add minced burger meat, it's more effective. When McDonalds stopped adding beef tallow to their frying oil, their fries immediately went down a notch, to become merely mundane. A little goes a long way. It doesn't have to be "chili", but it helps.

Blog Entries
    A recent reread of the labels on a lot of my favorite canned beans has made me adjust my eating habits.

My favorite doctoring of beans was with chili. To one can of Dennison's Chili ad ~1/4 cup (or more) of BBQ sauce and ~!/3 (or more) of Pace medium Picante Sauce.

Chopped onion and jalapeños to taste.

Good chili.

Now instead my chili is cooked up in a large batch using fresh meat and vegetables. Just as good, probably better for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Add cubes of smoked pork belly or Texas style smoked brisket. Add some yellow mustard, brown sugar, and chopped onions. Bake in a bean crock, covered, for two or three hours. Never not yummy.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Not that much more effort to make them from scratch. The results are well worth it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ns-recipe.html

https://www.ranchogordo.com/collecti...cranberry-bean

I add green pickle relish to the finished product. A little cooking wine in the pot helps most stuff as well as seasoned pepper(the no salt kind). My wife convinced me to buy the hottest version of hot sauce. It costs no more and it lastslonger since you do not use as much. A little goes a long way.
    Bil lD

Bush's original baked beans, some ketchup, onions, light brown sugar, some bacon.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Bush's original baked beans, some ketchup, onions, light brown sugar, some bacon.
    This is how I do it. There's a difference between baked beans and chili and the way I make each is very different, including using different beans, and different cooking. Baked beans are (naturally) baked while chili is cooked on the stove.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    That’s how my mom made (makes) them, really the only way I’ve ever known. She drains the sauce off the canned beans too.
    She never measures anything, and I’m Not a huge ketchup fan, so I’m always delighted when they’re on the sweeter side rather than soupy (ketchupy)
    Said an old ex boyfriends mom when she was a teen taught her that recipe.

One of my least favorite dishes as a child was from a can that contained beans and little links of hot dogs. Does hat food have anything to do with baked beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    One of my least favorite dishes as a child was from a can that contained beans and little links of hot dogs. Does hat food have anything to do with baked beans?
    Beanie weenies. When I was in college I used to eat that. Cheap and quick.

There was a name for those little weenies in the can but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-08-2020 at 8:01 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

LOML and I favor savory over sweet. I start with Bush's "less sugar" "lower sodium" variety and add some onion, diced thick-cut smoked bacon, some minced jalapeno or chipotle in adobo sauce, and chopped cilantro. I know a lot of folks don't care for cilantro, but it's a staple in our kitchen.

Whatever your recipe, (and most of these are similar to mine), cook them in the smoker. I like cherry scraps, others like oak or mesquite. Any of them will improve your beans!
    I cook them at the same time the brisket, ribs or whatever is smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    LOML and I favor savory over sweet. I start with Bush's "less sugar" "lower sodium" variety and add some onion, diced thick-cut smoked bacon, some minced jalapeno or chipotle in adobo sauce, and chopped cilantro. I know a lot of folks don't care for cilantro, but it's a staple in our kitchen.

I like it too. But, I read an article recently that explained why some people really dislike it. Some inherit a gene that makes it taste like soap!

Beans work really well using leftover brisket or rib meat chopped really fine. Too bad such leftovers are a rarity!