Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw too big for garage? or Festool Domino/Tracksaw?

Bandsaw too big for garage? or Festool Domino/Tracksaw?

Debating if I should pull the trigger on a laguna bandsaw thats about 5 hours of driving for me to get. It's a 5hp, italian made model. Owner is sending me photos later. Sounds like an Lt 18 or 24 which is a large saw for a 2 car garage BUT I won't be in my current house forever, maybe another year or 2.

I was thinking about using tax refund on a festool domino 700 and ts75 track saw BUT this bandsaw popped up.

The table is 2x3' which is large.

Currently have a 14" jet that I don't really like. Belt tension is lacking among other things.

I would certainly have the laguna forever.

I'm debating if I should get it and deal with the space issue for now. It will fit height wise. I'll have to tilt it with several guys to get it in. Being able to resaw with accuracy and speed compared to my 14" is something I'd like.

That said.....we're having our first child in July so time in garage will be less. I'm wondering if a domino and tracksaw would be used more since there would be less setup time for projects....at least that's what I think.

Thanks in advance for the tips and info.

Blog Entries
    I have a 14" Jet with a riser block and an after market tension wheel.
    I also have the extended table.
    I have absolutely no issues.

I have a Laguna 24" that required tipping to get into the garage. I hired Two Men and a Truck, with lift gate, to move it. One really big guy tilted it back onto his shoulder and got it into the garage with very little problem. A couple of strong guys should be able to handle something similar.

4. You can get the Festool stuff anytime. Might not get a better bandsaw if it’s a good deal. Bandsaw all the way in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mitchell View Post
    You can get the Festool stuff anytime. Might not get a better bandsaw if it’s a good deal. Bandsaw all the way in my opinion.
    I kinda agree with this comment...opportunity is what it is. You'll still want to keep that 14" saw, however, for running narrow blades.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A bandsaw does not really require much setup time. Maybe you slack off the tension on the blade after use. If the bandsaw is under $1,000 I would get it now unless you plan to build a whole kitchen of cabinets before the baby is born.
    If it is three phase you will need a converter of some kind. 30-40 amp service regardless.
    Bil lD

I would buy the bandsaw,especially if it is a good deal. A bigger saw like that will run circles around a 14'' as far as capacity ,power,ability to tension real blades...Everything.

Best of luck on the journey

Tom

Rent a tilt back dolly and the bandsaw will go in easily. Your lack of upcoming garage time works the same for Festool tools or bandsaw, or really all of your woodworking equipment! Oh yeah, and any of your other hobbies too.

I got my 24" Agazzani under the 7' high garage door of my shop by tilting it on a dolly.

Well, actually I was about to attempt it when my two lawn guys said, 'wait a minute, let us do that'. Took less than a minute. My grandson and I did get it off the pickup though.

PS: Mine is single phase, but be aware it still takes a 30A 220V circuit.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You can get the Festool stuff anytime. Might not get a better bandsaw if it’s a good deal. Bandsaw all the way in my opinion.
    This is an excellent point. Just make it work, where there is a will, there is a way.

Bingo! I'll jump on that bandwagon too.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Just make sure you can still afford diapers, and college for the kid, and retirement for you. Too many people use tax refunds on things rather than savings.

That being said, hard to turn down a deal! Festool is a luxury.

What's a tax refund? LOL 'Never get those...on purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Patrick

There is quite a bit of difference between a band saw and a track saw. They kind of don't really do the same things, but compliment each other well.
    If it were me, I would get the bandsaw. I have a Jet 14" with all the after market whizbangs, and on it's best day resawing, it's no match whatsoever for my 18" Rikon 340. It's not even a contest.
    Go for the band saw, unless you have a very purpose specific use for the TS-75. ( I have one of those also. )
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)