Thread: YouTube pet peave

YouTube pet peave

Anyone else hate it when you watch a youtube video and you don't see what the final product looks like or maybe even what it is until the end of the video? You need to watch the whole thing or skip ahead to figure out what is being built. Much of the time I really don't care about the details, but might want to see the concept. Maybe sometimes I do care about details and dimensions, but only once I know if the item even interests me.

It really is annoying when I sit through someone droning on for 20 minutes only to find I wasn't really interested in what they are building. I don't get sucked in much any more because I'll skip to the end to see the finished product before investing the time of watching the video.

Also sometime even after watching them drone on for 20 minutes the concept of what they build still isn't clear even though you have dimensions and details.

That said as a general rule I actually prefer more concept and less detail in videos about novel stuff like a new jig concept. Details are critical when teaching how to do something. Yes some videos may be trying to do both and that might be appropriate in some cases, but I'd like to see more "this is how this jig works" type videos. They could add a see "my detailed build" link for those who want it after seeing the concept.

There's a progress bar at the bottom of the window with a dot on it. Drag the dot to the right and you can step through the whole video and see the end product. Go back and watch then if you're interested.

The people making the videos may not be aware of that problem because they know exactly what they're trying to do. Leave them a note and some of them may edit hte video to put the final product at the beginning.

Of course, you can do as you mentioned, just advance the video to see what the outcome is.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Seems like a year ago you only saw an ad on a YouTube video once in a while, now almost every video has one. Some of them have two at the beginning, which you can opt out of after a short view, but if you let it run it could be a 5 minute ad. Longer videos often have several interruptions for ads. Hopefully most of the ad revenue goes to the content creators.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I don't get sucked in much any more because I'll skip to the end to see the finished product before investing the time of watching the video.
    Sounds like we use the same trick. There is at least one video maker with no dialog doing all kinds of metal work. These usually draw my attention since they are labeled as "10 must have shop set ups" or something similar. Skip to the end find it is lame, BTDT.

Longer videos often have several interruptions for ads. Hopefully most of the ad revenue goes to the content creators.
    Some of the creators do monetize their video. Any ads running on the videos earn money for Youtube. They have to pay for the bandwidth somehow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I really find it irritating that they have changed the thumbnail view recently, I also don't like when you select you aren't interested and it keeps showing up in my recommendations.

The comments section usually will give you a good indicator of whether a video is worth your time. That said, I've definitely seen lots of people who are very good at their craft, which does NOT include making videos. While improvising speech can be a valuable skill, most people would do much better with a heavily-edited script...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore