Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back In The Shop

Back In The Shop

I've been cleared by the Doc to go back to work this coming Monday, just in time to pick up an initial line (training a pilot who has likely never seen a 604 to go forth and fly as pilot in command before learning how to open and close the door). It is a hard week of leaning between the seats and almost total concentration trying to insure they know enough to be safe and almost as important pass the flight check.

Clearing me for work also means clearing me back to the shop without MsBubba's evil eye. I picked up some 8/4 Alder for the new dining room table today but first I will finish the small box started the other day.

While working on the box I thought about the difference between Japanese striking chisels and Western bench chisels as I was using both. There is no better chisel for use with a hammer/mallet than a Japanese striking chisel it was developed over centuries for that use with a steel hammer and it is close to perfection. Good pre-WWII Western chisels (especially those with a tang ) are wonderful push chisels, light, well balanced, and comfortable in hand. Each chisel, Japanese and Western can crossover and do the other's job but not as well. I'm lucky to have both.

japaneseWestern.jpg

Feels good to be doing something other than sharpening tools even if it is just a small box. BTW, the Alder really works well with hand tools. I may find more uses for it.

ken

Hi Ken,

Nice to see you will be back in the shop.

That alder looks like it has fairly nice grain too. Nicer than fir, pine, etc. Does it make a good box material? If it does I may try to get some to use for a box for one of the less complex old Stanley combination planes I have wanted for over three years. One recently found it's way to my house, but since it does not have a box of any sort it is kind of homeless and I want it to feel welcome here.

I hope and plan to retire in a little over a year, how much longer for you?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-06-2020 at 9:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Nice to see you will be back in the shop.

That alder looks like it has fairly nice grain too. Nicer than fir, pine, etc. Does it make a good box material? If it does I may try to get some to use for a box for one of the less complex old Stanley combination planes I have wanted for over three years. One recently found it's way to my house, but since it does not have a box of any sort it is kind of homeless and I want it to feel welcome here.

I hope and plan to retire in a little over a year, how much longer for you?

Stew
    Stew,

The boss says tomorrow but I think I can put her off until next January. One way or the other it will happen before I'm really ready to quit. I think I can get away with going part time as long as I book enough time off to be her boy toy/arm candy. Oh well, I spent my life living in hotels, looks like I'm going to die in one but she put up with the life, time to pay her back.

ken

Blog Entries
    That alder looks like it has fairly nice grain too. Nicer than fir, pine, etc. Does it make a good box material?
    Quarter sawn alder can show medullary rays. It is softer than many hardwoods including poplar.

A box of mine has been holding up well for a little over two years > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?259750

It grows on my property and is used for firewood. Some of the local mills process alder and the mill ends are sold for firewood. Sometimes an interesting piece will show itself through the sawn surface:

Firewood Chatoyance.jpg

Of course this is what it looked like after the sawn surface was cleaned up with some planing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken, my cousin flew for Northwest/Delta. After flying, they kept him busy with training. He looked at retirement with mixed emotions. He’s loved flying one thing or another his whole life. Now he’s back into flying Gulfstreams part time for some wealthy guy. Gets him back in the air with plenty of wifey time. Hope whatever you like to do comes your way after full time work.

Just a side note, you might be able to relate to. Northwest had a deal to fly soldiers to the gulf during the war. He flew 747s. The first time, he was a little taken back when several hundred fully armed folks started boarding. After the initial surprise, he said he’s never felt safer on a flight.

Glad you are back in the shop doing more than sharpening....

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I picked up some 8/4 Alder for the new dining room table today but first I will finish the small box started the other day.
    I read that first part and thought "wow, he does not fool around, an ambitious first project", then I read the second part and thought "that is a bit more sensible".

I was thinking about my Mother after she got her pace maker and the doc said that she could do some light cleaning and vacuuming. Of course my Mother said "you cannot vacuum under the couch unless you tip it over and out of the way", which of course ripped the leads out of her heart and she had to do it again.

Good for you. I retired at 66 and my only regret is that I should have done it a few years earlier. And, I loved my job but wanted more time with my other interests.
    Tell me more about those Japanese chisels, what brand and where to buy them.
    Thankyou.

Blog Entries
    I retired at 66 and my only regret is that I should have done it a few years earlier.
    My retirement was earlier, 57-1/2. Not one moment of regret. Too many of my co-workers died before retirement or shortly after. One of my supervisors told me about studies finding the earlier people retired, the longer they tended to live.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Ken, my cousin flew for Northwest/Delta. After flying, they kept him busy with training. He looked at retirement with mixed emotions. He’s loved flying one thing or another his whole life. Now he’s back into flying Gulfstreams part time for some wealthy guy. Gets him back in the air with plenty of wifey time. Hope whatever you like to do comes your way after full time work.

Just a side note, you might be able to relate to. Northwest had a deal to fly soldiers to the gulf during the war. He flew 747s. The first time, he was a little taken back when several hundred fully armed folks started boarding. After the initial surprise, he said he’s never felt safer on a flight.
    Phil,

My last job was on Gulfstreams, great airplanes. I don't miss the flying as much as being where it would take me. I expect I will end up working part time instructing just to get some human contact and somewhere to go when I need to get out of the shop and house.

On one of my last trips, the company was looking at taking the 747's into Bagram AFB Afghanistan, we did an overhead penetration approach to Bagram in the Gulfstream to see what the 747's would have to do. Bottom line even with doing a penetration approach a bad guy with a shoulder launch missile on any of the mountains would have an easy time taking us out.

BTW, the approach was a lot of fun, for a big girl the GIV dances pretty good.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Glad you are back in the shop doing more than sharpening....

I read that first part and thought "wow, he does not fool around, an ambitious first project", then I read the second part and thought "that is a bit more sensible".

I was thinking about my Mother after she got her pace maker and the doc said that she could do some light cleaning and vacuuming. Of course my Mother said "you cannot vacuum under the couch unless you tip it over and out of the way", which of course ripped the leads out of her heart and she had to do it again.
    Andrew,

The box was just to see if I liked the wood, The table starts next week . Of course some of that depends on MsBubba, she still hasn't signed off on my design.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    ... for a big girl the GIV dances pretty good.
    ^And such beautiful long legs, too!

We used to one-hop Dallas to Kenai AK in the GIII and be there in plenty of time for lunch. Alas, I was merely baggage. No matter how much I begged, they just would NOT let me fly. ...Blaggards!!

He's back! Carry on Ken, but I cannot believe you tried to fly a Moravian past the Ms. Have you no shame?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Silverson View Post
    Good for you. I retired at 66 and my only regret is that I should have done it a few years earlier. And, I loved my job but wanted more time with my other interests.
    Tell me more about those Japanese chisels, what brand and where to buy them.
    Thankyou.

David,

IIRC they were made by Sukezane for Stanley Covington. I'm not sure if I can post a link to Stan but he is easy to find through google. Any chisel he sells will be good.

ken
    MENTORI OIRENOMI SUKEZANE

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My retirement was earlier, 57-1/2. Not one moment of regret. Too many of my co-workers died before retirement or shortly after. One of my supervisors told me about studies finding the earlier people retired, the longer they tended to live.

jtk
    Jim,

With my company the OFs die soon after retiring. Of course that could be because most of us are older than dirt.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    He's back! Carry on Ken, but I cannot believe you tried to fly a Moravian past the Ms. Have you no shame?
    David,

None at all, you build what you know how to build.

WX is starting to get really good in the desert and as wet as it has been camping and hikes should be primo.

ken