Thread: When your Photosmart printer quits

Blog Entries

When your Photosmart printer quits

printing black don't buy just the black. I did and guess what some of the colors gave up too. I had to buy the $70 box of ink and paper. The colors gave out too and I had to buy the whole batch.

I am happy to have it working like it is supposed to.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-06-2020 at 3:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago my printer refused to print. After all the tech support suggestions and resets, it was still refusing to print.

Tech support was useless and suggested a new printer. My printer was less than three years old at the time.

A friend suggested replacing the yellow ink cartridge. That fixed it.

Found out that since 9/11 color printers have been printing yellow micro-dots on documents so they can be traced back to the printer that produced them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I went to Best Buy to buy mine. I buy my printer paper at Walmart.

I bought an Epson EcoTank printer so I don't have to buy printer cartridges any more. The printer is more expensive because they have to make money on that sale instead of on the ink. They practically give the HP printers away so that they can make money on the ink.

For the Epson, the ink comes in bottles with a special top that allows you to put the ink in with no chance of spilling. It's a good system.

The ink isn't that expensive and the bottles hold a good amount of ink. I've had my Epson printer for a couple of years and not real problems. Only issue is that it doesn't auto feed very well if I want to make copies of multiple pages. I don't do that very often - mostly just use it as a printer - occasionally as a scanner.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-06-2020 at 2:18 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    My printer was purchased at Office Depot or the office supply store that merged with it. That was over 10 years ago.

My paper comes from Costco.

Since my sudoku habit has been broken my printer isn't used as much.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I bought an Epson EcoTank printer so I don't have to buy printer cartridges any more. The printer is more expensive because they have to make money on that sale instead of on the ink. They practically give the HP printers away so that they can make money on the ink.

For the Epson, the ink comes in bottles with a special top that allows you to put the ink in with no chance of spilling. It's a good system.

Mike
    Thanks for the reminder Mike. The Epson will be on the top of my list when my printer is up for replacement.

jtk

If i want color printing, which is rarely, then i go to staples for high quality and a reasonable price.

Blog Entries
    I have a cell phone that takes color pictures. I can transfer the pictures to the computer with a USB cable and print them. When you live 3 miles from some of your grand children, you will find it is nice to be able to do that,

Blog Entries
    When you live 3 miles from some of your grand children, you will find it is nice to be able to do that,
    Five of my grandchildren live 600 miles away in California.

Three of my grandchildren live over 5,000 miles away in Korea.

Yes, it is nice to be able to print out some nice images to hang on the refrigerator:

Talia 1.jpg

That one is hanging on our freezer.

jtk

"Super Tank" color inkjets are becoming more common. Canon and Brother have them in various forms as well. I've been using refillable cartridges in an older pre-chip Brother for years. My ink cost/page is negligible. My concern with the higher priced big ink tank printers is if something else fails like the paper feed mechanism or print head. I have a relatively high $ printer that is going to require a relatively high $ repair or being tossed. No different I guess than a high $ color laser but lasers have been proven to be pretty reliable for the most part. SOHO inkjets are generally thought of as disposable. The new generation inkjets may change that perception.

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    I have to ask, why do you have grandchildren in Korea?
    Three of my grandchildren live in town and two in Connecticut.
    I have three great grandchildren nearby.

Christmas dinner is a blast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jim,
    I have to ask, why do you have grandchildren in Korea?
    Three of my grandchildren live in town and two in Connecticut.
    I have three great grandchildren nearby.

Christmas dinner is a blast.
    My son is in the Air Force and currently stationed there. His wife called last night to chat.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Five of my grandchildren live 600 miles away in California.

Three of my grandchildren live over 5,000 miles away in Korea.

Yes, it is nice to be able to print out some nice images to hang on the refrigerator:

Talia 1.jpg

That one is hanging on our freezer.

jtk
    I can see why that photo is hanging on your freezer!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    When I was a young guy and in a naval reserve unit, I pulled training duty in South Korea. Those were scary times.