Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long before selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Have you been to Portsmouth island?
    Not yet. We usually stay around Avon since from there I can drive up to Oregon Inlet and down to the Point and the end of Hatteras Island without much trouble. When the extended family goes (usually in October) we rent a house on the ocean and Avon is a fairly central base of operations.

When I go by myself I stay in cheaper places such as in the middle of the woods in Frisco! Most of the the out-of-towners in the winter seem to be there for the fishing, some for the wind surfing and kite boarding.

JKJ

It's hard to get to, even from here. It takes a whole day for us to get there, and we're in the same state. You have to take a small ferry that seems like it's at the end of the world. You have to have 4wd. They have an air compressor so you can put air back in your tires when you come back off the ferry, after lowering the pressure for driving on the sand. Google Portsmouth Island fish camp, and you may see the "accommodations". They're pretty reasonable, and there is a dark sky there at night, with no towns anywhere near there. You can drive to plenty of places on the beach where no one else is in sight.

Every time I have sold a tool, I later regret the decision. A couple of exceptions have been the short bed Woodfast lathe I just sold after getting a Laguna 18-36 and selling one of my 11 routers. If a tool sits around and collects dust it may need to find a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Selling machinery is the job of my wife and kids if I go first.
    Make sure you leave a list of what you actually paid for the tools, not what you said you did.

Typically 1 to 2 years. If I haven't used it in 2 years it's just taking up valuable space and somebody else would be better off having it.
    I try going though all of my tools about once a year and re-assess what I still need and what I can part with.
    Haven't regretted trading in an unused tool for money. That mentality has also drastically reduced my overall spending on tools. Highly recommend it.

Blog Entries
    I worked too long and hard to have what few tools I have. I am saving my tools for my children and grandchildren.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

30 minutes was my latest.

I don't get the whole telling your wife you paid x amount when you paid y.

My wife and my kids know what I paid and what stuff is worth. They will not be taken advantage of when I die using whatever piece of machinery I was running when I kick it.