Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before selling?

Question How long before selling?

Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks

I don't think I would sell tools no matter how long it has been since I used provided I'm still woodworking. Although it is somewhat contradictory, if all I built was 1 thing, like cutting boards I would think harder about selling what wasn't used.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks
    I sell what doesn't work out for me, other wise I keep it.
    Yes I have tools I bought over 20,30,40 years ago some never used some not used for over 10+ years. As long as I have the room I will hang on to tools EXCEPT ones I don't like or just don't have the room to keep them(large tools)

It's rare for me to part with something I've purchased, especially since I tend to invest in the higher end and acknowledge that some tools don't get used much just "because". The last thing I parted with was a Leigh dovetail jig that I hadn't used for, oh...5+ years...and given my direction with projects and techniques, I doubted it would get used in the next 5 years either. Sometimes parting with something brings regrets later, too. That was the case with a drum sander with me. While I had very good reason to sell my original one...zero use over a few years and the need for space, that resulted in my having to rebuy this past year because, once again, my direction with projects and techniques shifted.

I will also suggest this to you: many of us take a break from an avocation from time to time. For a few years, I didn't really do much work in my shop because of work and dealing with a mentally ill daughter and enjoying some other things "in the moment". I have multiple hobbies...photography, cooking, woodworking, equestrian, music, etc. I'll use that last one as an example. I've been a musician since an early age. It was "everything" to me when I was a teen and later during a period in the 1980s. I acquired a whole bunch of quality equipment during that latter period of time. While most of my various keyboards were sold a long time ago, I still have my favorite keyboard (Kurzweill 2000) and most of my rack gear. It's setup on our loft above our great room. While I don't play very often, I appreciate having it. I also have a really nice setup for photography...great Nikon full frame body and a bunch of quality lenses. I don't use it much anymore since selling our horses, but I'll likely never get rid of any of it because it fills a need once in awhile.

Bottom line...go slow here. You made a whole bunch of changes and acquisitions for your shop in the last two years and while maybe your "current" interest is lagging a little, if you liquidate all or some of your shop, there's a high probability that suddenly you'll get the bug again and have to re-invest. That said, if you determine that you truly want to move on, well...someone will undoubtedly get great benefit from tools you're no longer intending to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim B. (no surprise there) and will add that for the last 10 years or so I have been factoring in whether or not I will ever be able to 'get one' of a decent quality if I do decide to replace. That was quite a run-on sentence; let me use an example. I gave a 1940's drill press to my son in law. It had no table mechanism, was a bit short on reach and was inflexible when it came to chucks and so forth.

I bought a new (in 2005) drill press for about $350. It has been quite serviceable but, no where near the precision of the older unit. My presumption was that I would upgrade later. Lo and behold, it is neigh on to impossible to get a drill press that is significantly better than my get-me-by unit for under 6 or 7 times the price. This moves this particular tool into the 'can't get one at a decent price' world.

Conversely, a 1940's tablesaw might be really cool but, advances in safety and design make modern machines very attractive. Don't get out the torches and pitch forks, I love old arn as much as anyone but, a riving knife is a deal breaker for me. My point is that some items that you may have, you just may not be able to get a well made replacement of in your lifetime. That prickly factor aside, a tool would have to take up an inordinate amount of room before I would sell it. I may relegate it to the out-building but, it would be well packed for storage and I would know where it is ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    So far, 47 years. Hey, I might need it tomorrow.

But seriously, it depends. I also go through changes in interests. Some I might let sit for years then start again. I can't think of many things I didn't eventually get back to, except perhaps cave diving. (Anyone want some double tanks, reels, dry suit and such?)
    Some things depend on storage space, for example I have a larger PM jointer new in the crate, stored for years now. I'll get around to setting it up someday. I have plenty of storage space.
    I have a spare bandsaw not yet moved into my new shop. I will keep it and eventually move it since it complements my other shop bandsaw.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know a guy who buys a lot of tools, uses them a bit, then sells them on Craigslist some months later. The economics of that method doesn't appeal to me.

Some factors I might consider concerning specific tools...
    - did I enjoy or hate the experience of using it
    - did it do the job
    - size of tool, space it takes up
    - amount of shop and storage space available
    - is it special purpose or a general use tool
    - resale value vs cost
    - can it be bought used or rented if needed in the future
    - will it deteriorate if not used (for example, cordless tool batteries)

JKJ

I, too, try different things. I will hone my skills on one type projects, then my attention shifts to something different. However, it seems as if individual tools, setting unused for a few years, end up become very useful in some other new and exciting project.
    So, my short answer, I nearly never rid myself of a tool, unless it is of low quality.

I have regretted it pretty much any time I have sold a tool that I liked. Sooner or later I wanted them again and missed them. Same for other stuff including a couple guns that I wish I still had. A Sterlingworth 12ga double barrel, double trigger, modified and improved cylinder chokes that I parted with comes to mind.

Different deal if you don't particularly like them.

Two current examples:

A brand new clamp that has been in a drawer over 20 years, finally used on my saw a couple weeks ago.

A band saw of my dad's, stored for 15 years in my shop, listed currently for sale.

Guess I am a slow mover.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Of the rare occasions that I sold a tool (hand or power), it was only because I upgraded to a better model. Unlike the thousands of dollars worth of Nikon film camera equipment that is virtually worthless in today’s digital age. Should have bailed on that stuff when I could have recovered some of my initial investment. I suspect the same thing will happen with old table saws and other flesh eating machinery once safety technology, a la SawStop, becomes universal.

I had a 1.5 hp shaper that I never really like and couldn't do what I really wanted out of one. I used it to make cabinet doors but nothing else. After at least 10 years I finally sold it after I realized I could make cabinet doors just as well on my router table, so why keep a machine I didn't like and no longer needed. I haven't missed it. If I ever get another shaper it will be much bigger and have a power feeder so it can do everything I need from one.

John

Thanks for the input guys. I have a nice setup of high end tools as Jim mentioned above. I spent a few years putting it all together but have been having trouble staying motivated to build anything. Last project was over Christmas when I made some coaster sets on the CNC.

anyway, the latest thing has been golf with my son. We joined our club and play a lot. Between that and work I’m just not finding time for much else. The tools don’t cost anything to sit but I have been having thoughts of possibly selling off the shop except for a few tools and regaining a bunch of my garage space.

I’m not in a huge hurry to decide but my passion for woodworking seems to come and go these days. thanks for the continued insight.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-06-2020 at 2:03 PM.

i can't answer that, I have never sold a tool in my life UNLESS I was replacing it with another one just like it

I sold a smallish band saw when I got my current band saw, I sold my Unisaw when I got my SawStop, other than that never sold a tool. Some tools sat for years or more without use, like my MIG welder which I replaced with TIG about 8 years ago, but guess what I used my MIG extensively on my son in law car late last year, glad I kept it.

Seriously, passions come and go and usually come back. I didn't reload for close to 20 years but I am back into it and glad I kept all the stuff. I didn't ride bicycles for about 8 years but recently got back into it, still have all my HO railroad stuff, cant wait for that passion to come back.

Selling machinery is the job of my wife and kids if I go first. I just hope I get enough stuff labeled so all the accessories go to the next person. I haven't turned anything on my Oneway 2436 for 15 months, but it's going nowhere!

Part of my thought involved selling everything but the workbench, handtools and CNC. Odd assortment but figured I could do a lot with just hand tools and the CNC and having the sliding saw, bandsaw, J/P, miter saw and lathe gone would make a huge shift in free floor space but I could still tinker with some slow projects by hand and the occasional creative outlet on the cnc. I’m just not emotionally attached to my tools I guess. It’s a hobby and not my vocation. Another part of me is thinking sell it all, walk away all together and chase other pursuits. I think another issue is that I just prefer spending time with my family to being isolated in the shop so hobbies and activities have started drifting in that direction. It’s funny, I spent more time in the shop when I had less equipment of lower quality. LOL

Still thinking it through of course.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-06-2020 at 4:27 PM.