Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before selling?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How long before selling?

Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks

I don't think I would sell tools no matter how long it has been since I used provided I'm still woodworking. Although it is somewhat contradictory, if all I built was 1 thing, like cutting boards I would think harder about selling what wasn't used.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks
    I sell what doesn't work out for me, other wise I keep it.
    Yes I have tools I bought over 20,30,40 years ago some never used some not used for over 10+ years. As long as I have the room I will hang on to tools EXCEPT ones I don't like or just don't have the room to keep them(large tools)

It's rare for me to part with something I've purchased, especially since I tend to invest in the higher end and acknowledge that some tools don't get used much just "because". The last thing I parted with was a Leigh dovetail jig that I hadn't used for, oh...5+ years...and given my direction with projects and techniques, I doubted it would get used in the next 5 years either. Sometimes parting with something brings regrets later, too. That was the case with a drum sander with me. While I had very good reason to sell my original one...zero use over a few years and the need for space, that resulted in my having to rebuy this past year because, once again, my direction with projects and techniques shifted.

I will also suggest this to you: many of us take a break from an avocation from time to time. For a few years, I didn't really do much work in my shop because of work and dealing with a mentally ill daughter and enjoying some other things "in the moment". I have multiple hobbies...photography, cooking, woodworking, equestrian, music, etc. I'll use that last one as an example. I've been a musician since an early age. It was "everything" to me when I was a teen and later during a period in the 1980s. I acquired a whole bunch of quality equipment during that latter period of time. While most of my various keyboards were sold a long time ago, I still have my favorite keyboard (Kurzweill 2000) and most of my rack gear. It's setup on our loft above our great room. While I don't play very often, I appreciate having it. I also have a really nice setup for photography...great Nikon full frame body and a bunch of quality lenses. I don't use it much anymore since selling our horses, but I'll likely never get rid of any of it because it fills a need once in awhile.

Bottom line...go slow here. You made a whole bunch of changes and acquisitions for your shop in the last two years and while maybe your "current" interest is lagging a little, if you liquidate all or some of your shop, there's a high probability that suddenly you'll get the bug again and have to re-invest. That said, if you determine that you truly want to move on, well...someone will undoubtedly get great benefit from tools you're no longer intending to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim B. (no surprise there) and will add that for the last 10 years or so I have been factoring in whether or not I will ever be able to 'get one' of a decent quality if I do decide to replace. That was quite a run-on sentence; let me use an example. I gave a 1940's drill press to my son in law. It had no table mechanism, was a bit short on reach and was inflexible when it came to chucks and so forth.

I bought a new (in 2005) drill press for about $350. It has been quite serviceable but, no where near the precision of the older unit. My presumption was that I would upgrade later. Lo and behold, it is neigh on to impossible to get a drill press that is significantly better than my get-me-by unit for under 6 or 7 times the price. This moves this particular tool into the 'can't get one at a decent price' world.

Conversely, a 1940's tablesaw might be really cool but, advances in safety and design make modern machines very attractive. Don't get out the torches and pitch forks, I love old arn as much as anyone but, a riving knife is a deal breaker for me. My point is that some items that you may have, you just may not be able to get a well made replacement of in your lifetime. That prickly factor aside, a tool would have to take up an inordinate amount of room before I would sell it. I may relegate it to the out-building but, it would be well packed for storage and I would know where it is ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    So far, 47 years. Hey, I might need it tomorrow.

But seriously, it depends. I also go through changes in interests. Some I might let sit for years then start again. I can't think of many things I didn't eventually get back to, except perhaps cave diving. (Anyone want some double tanks, reels, dry suit and such?)
    Some things depend on storage space, for example I have a larger PM jointer new in the crate, stored for years now. I'll get around to setting it up someday. I have plenty of storage space.
    I have a spare bandsaw not yet moved into my new shop. I will keep it and eventually move it since it complements my other shop bandsaw.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know a guy who buys a lot of tools, uses them a bit, then sells them on Craigslist some months later. The economics of that method doesn't appeal to me.

Some factors I might consider concerning specific tools...
    - did I enjoy or hate the experience of using it
    - did it do the job
    - size of tool, space it takes up
    - amount of shop and storage space available
    - is it special purpose or a general use tool
    - resale value vs cost
    - can it be bought used or rented if needed in the future
    - will it deteriorate if not used (for example, cordless tool batteries)

JKJ

I, too, try different things. I will hone my skills on one type projects, then my attention shifts to something different. However, it seems as if individual tools, setting unused for a few years, end up become very useful in some other new and exciting project.
    So, my short answer, I nearly never rid myself of a tool, unless it is of low quality.

I have regretted it pretty much any time I have sold a tool that I liked. Sooner or later I wanted them again and missed them. Same for other stuff including a couple guns that I wish I still had. A Sterlingworth 12ga double barrel, double trigger, modified and improved cylinder chokes that I parted with comes to mind.

Different deal if you don't particularly like them.

Two current examples:

A brand new clamp that has been in a drawer over 20 years, finally used on my saw a couple weeks ago.

A band saw of my dad's, stored for 15 years in my shop, listed currently for sale.

Guess I am a slow mover.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

10. What I didn't say is that there may come a time when I am too old a feeble to use them. At that point I'll still hold on to them if I hold on to the house, but if I downsize into someplace that I can't keep them they will have to go. That will be a sad day. I probably won't do that as long as i can still use them.

If I decide to sell the house and hit the road in an RV for a few years I might store them.

I do know of guys who hug onto stuff that there was no way they'd ever be able to use again just to hang onto the dream. Sailboats come to mind, in some cases big expensive ones that cost a lot of money to store where they were and they were deteriorating alarmingly. Not only were they costing to store, but by the time the guys kicked the bucket they probably went from worth a bundle to nearly worthless. I guess it was worth it to them to kid themselves that just maybe they'd be able to sail again. I might keep my tools like that. At least they won't rust to pieces or cost a fortune to store as long as I own the house.

If you're enjoying playing "pasture pool" with your son, just enjoy it and don't worry about the shop. If you sell those tools, you're going to take a bath financially and when the world turns over, you'll end up buying them again unless you are absolutely, positively sure you're not going to continue with the activity.

The last time I played golf was about 12 years ago. I still have my clubs, but zero motivation to engage in the activity...but if I was asked to participate in a charity event or something, I'd probably do it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah it’s a tough call. I told myself to try to get motivated to make something this weekend and see how I feel about it. It’s a weird thing as I’ve done this with other hobbies before like off roading, rebuilding and restoring a vehicle, remote model helicopters and drones, high end digital nature photography, etc. camping with the motor home and woodworking were the two that stuck over the years but I guess I’m just finding it to seem more like work or a chore and less enjoyable for many tasks in the shop. Combine that with an overwhelmed interest in spending all our free time on the course and you get the idea.

equip wise I think I might not do to bad as long as I’m patient on a buyer. Don’t know though. May start with testing waters on the Felder slider since I could live without that large item if it sells. Could reassess from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you're enjoying playing "pasture pool" with your son, just enjoy it and don't worry about the shop. If you sell those tools, you're going to take a bath financially and when the world turns over, you'll end up buying them again unless you are absolutely, positively sure you're not going to continue with the activity.

The last time I played golf was about 12 years ago. I still have my clubs, but zero motivation to engage in the activity...but if I was asked to participate in a charity event or something, I'd probably do it.

I agree with Jim here. Life is change............and cyclical. If you have the room and don't need the money I would say keep it and you never know how things will be going forward. I used to hunt deer and thought I would get back into it wen I retired. Well with a heart condition I really can't exert myself in the cold so that's over for me. Now in the winter months I have really gotten back into woodworking. My surf rods have sat idle for years, now we are taking all the kids to the Outer Banks this summer and they want to fish the surf.

Think things out before you sell IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    My surf rods have sat idle for years, now we are taking all the kids to the Outer Banks this summer and they want to fish the surf.
    One of my favorite places, I especially like fishing for flounder.

fishing_PA265222.jpg

Did you ever fish there in the winter? Nov/Dec were my favorite times but not for the kids!

JKJ

15. As others have said, hobbies can come and go. I spent quite a bit of time in my shop before kids (there was even a recliner in there my wife would sit in sometimes and maybe read if I wasn't using power tools). But when kid #1 arrived priorities changed between her and realizing I needed to get into shape. So being a Dad and cycling have been my biggest pastimes. But even then, the occasional project would come up, so in the last 13 years I've made 3 beds (one for each daughter) and an aquarium stand (essentially also for the daughters). And the shop has been invaluable in various home improvement projects (beyond table & miter saw, drilling holes in porcelain tile is laughably easy when you have a nice drill press).

Just finished making the bed for daughter #3 and while doing it I realized that I missed it. I also realized it was easy to make the bed because I had accidentally left the router bit set up for cutting slots for the head/foot board in the router table from the previous bed, which told me how long it had been since I had made anything that required the router table. So I've been trying to get back into it, getting the shop cleaned up for building furniture, upgrading the dust collection a bit, and maybe finish the partially finished workbench that's been sitting in there since before daughter #1.

Anyway, not only are you likely to get back into it, but you are also likely to find the equipment useful for other projects that come up, and maybe even the occasional small furniture project. If you don't have a woodshop, things like "I need to make this board just a little bit thinner" are shockingly hard.

Entirely your call, but I would say keep it unless you're completely sure you never want to use it again, or unless you're sure what you have now isn't what you would want if you decide to start again.

Bruce