Thread: No family, no sports, about to leave for the hardwood dealer

No family, no sports, about to leave for the hardwood dealer

Will buy whatever looks good and determine the project(s) by that instead of the usual reverse order. Likely I'll build things no one needs and accumulate more permanent residents in the corner of the shop but what better way to deal than losing oneself with saw and chisel at this time.

There' a current thread on my favorite audio forum about 'best speakers for the garage/workshop'. I opined that the $50 Bluetooth speakers I run off my iPhone, which don't really sound very good in Hi-Fi terms, suit me just fine. After a few hours at the bench I could hardly tell you what I listened to let alone how it sounded ;-}

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Will buy whatever looks good and determine the project(s) by that instead of the usual reverse order. Likely I'll build things no one needs and accumulate more permanent residents in the corner of the shop but what better way to deal than losing oneself with saw and chisel at this time.

There' a current thread on my favorite audio forum about 'best speakers for the garage/workshop'. I opined that the $50 Bluetooth speakers I run off my iPhone, which don't really sound very good in Hi-Fi terms, suit me just fine. After a few hours at the bench I could hardly tell you what I listened to let alone how it sounded ;-}
    Bill,

The problem I have with that, and I've done it often, is I end up with a wood pile/stack where it is too much work to get to the wood I need so I just go back to the wood store and buy more. BTDT .

I had a set of JBL Jubal's in the shop for years, a year or so the amp died and I went with a pair of Edifier Bluetooth speakers to run off my iPhone and frankly do not miss the JBL's.

ken

If they're gone you may miss the 077 Tweeters. They bring serious coin to collectors.

If they're gone you may miss the 077 Tweeters. They bring serious coin to collectors.
    Bill,

Tell me more, they are still in the shop.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

ken
    Check Ebay completed sales for a handle on value, Lansing Heritage site for legendary status, Audi Asylum High Efficiency Forum for Jubal's info. and 077 slot tweeters in general. They're almost unobtainable today.

You've got an antique Stanley Bailey Plane there.

My hardwood supplier just got back from the Land Down Under...where he was visiting his Daughter, Son-in-law, and the 3 grands.....will let he sit a few weeks, before I bother him....let settle back into Ohio weather..

May just pick up a load of Pine 1 x 12s at Menard's, instead....and save the Ash he sells for Non-Shop cabinets...book shelves....and the like.

Only music in my shop? Is in me head...can still remember waiting on the radios to warm up....tubes took a bit....and the car radio was still just AM......800 on the radio dial...CKLW, King Biscuit Flour presents.....

remember when the car radios had something to convert the 12v car battery into something the radios could use....we called them vibrators...looked like a tube, too.

1964 Ford Falcon Futura, 4 door....straight 6, hand choke....bench seats front and rear....

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

ken
    Before you dismantle the works, join and post at Audioasylum or Audiocircle. I bet a Craigslist Nashville post would get cash buyers (come Summer).

It would be a shame to part out an intact pair.

Nelson Pass posted a rebuilt blog regarding crossover mods. On the flip side, modern stuff is AMAZINGLY good for what little it costs.

My wife has a JBL Flip 5 that's no bigger than a can of tennis balls. Phenomenal for casual listening.

Check Ebay completed sales for a handle on value, Lansing Heritage site for legendary status, Audi Asylum High Efficiency Forum for Jubal's info. and 077 slot tweeters in general. They're almost unobtainable today.

You've got an antique Stanley Bailey Plane there.
    Thanks Bill,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Before you dismantle the works, join and post at Audioasylum or Audiocircle. I bet a Craigslist Nashville post would get cash buyers (come Summer).

It would be a shame to part out an intact pair.

Nelson Pass posted a rebuilt blog regarding crossover mods. On the flip side, modern stuff is AMAZINGLY good for what little it costs.

My wife has a JBL Flip 5 that's no bigger than a can of tennis balls. Phenomenal for casual listening.
    Jim,

I will check out the forums. The enclosures are a little rough after, IIRC, ~50 years of moving around the country and use but the sound is still good as best I can tell (many years of sitting between screaming engines with out hearing protection will ruin your hearing). It would be good if they can find a good home.

ken

Blog Entries
    remember when the car radios had something to convert the 12v car battery into something the radios could use....we called them vibrators...looked like a tube, too.
    The vibrator broke up the DC from the battery so it could run through a transformer to step up the voltage. They were usually encased in a metal shield to help prevent noise in the audio signal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Peak of Ohio? As in Foothills? Anywhere near Burton? Greatest little sawmill in the land. I was a Cleveland Heights Boy.

Bellefontaine, OH....Mad River Mountain Ski Resort...both of the Honda Assembly plants are just down the road from here.

Afraid the Sawmills around here are owned by the Amish....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Bellefontaine, OH....Mad River Mountain Ski Resort...both of the Honda Assembly plants are just down the road from here.

Afraid the Sawmills around here are owned by the Amish....
    As is the one in Burton. Nicest people to deal with. Give them a chance.