Thread: Tool rest post length

Tool rest post length

I'm trying to find the post length for a Harvey T60 (grizzly g0800) so I can order a tool rest set before my lathe gets here. Does anyone have one of these lathes and knows the length of the tool rest POST?
    Where did I put those band aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    I'm trying to find the post length for a Harvey T60 (grizzly g0800) so I can order a tool rest set before my lathe gets here. Does anyone have one of these lathes and knows the length of the tool rest POST?
    I don't know the answer (don't know that lathe) but what tool rest do you plan to order? If it's a Robust (recommended!) you might call Brent and ask - he has a lot of experience with rests ordered by people for a variety of lathes.

If you can't find out for sure, I'd go ahead and order but get it a little long. There's usually no difference in price. I've shortened the post for a rest made for my larger lathe to fit one of my smaller lathes with the same diameter post. I used a metal-cutting blade in a reciprocating saw.

Note that the Robust site has this warning: "25MM POST WARNING: Certain Grizzly, Laguna and other imported lathes may use 25mm posts which are slightly smaller than 1”. THESE WILL NOT WORK. PLEASE MEASURE YOUR POSTS BEFORE ORDERING. FYI: 25mm = .984”, and 1” = 25.4mm. 25mm posts are available special order."

JKJ

Roger Chandler has a G0800. He moderates the GGMG (Grizzly Green Monster Group). I suspect that he'll tell you what you need to know. If not, go to the GGMG and repost.

I have used a hacksaw to shorten a tool rest post that was too long...

I found it; it's 8.75 inches by 1". Thanks all! There is no info on the Harvey T60-s yet. Mine has been sitting in Tacoma Wa for a week, waiting to be set up for delivery. Talk about a long wait!
    Where did I put those band aids?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    I found it; it's 8.75 inches by 1". Thanks all! There is no info on the Harvey T60-s yet. Mine has been sitting in Tacoma Wa for a week, waiting to be set up for delivery. Talk about a long wait!
    8.75” total height is correct.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!