Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Up Shop Scraps – Bow Front Cabinet Build Lots of Pics

Again, nice work Mike, especially on the bowed front. I do wonder about a dado to fit a shelf in, then some stub through tenons to pin it in place with. May try that one day. Drawer slips are not difficult (once you realize that you don't have to make them from 3/4" x 3/4" material and can rip them off of something wider that is much easier to grip in a vise and plane on) and should not present any problem for you at all. I use a slightly different looking outer face design on my slips than Derek does, but the actual slip part is all the same. Your method was definitely quicker and just fine for shop drawers IMO. I have been using lots of T&G for backs, bottoms and even a shelf lately because I afforded myself a dedicated T&G plane and just like using it.
    David

That’s crazy cool Milke. I like it.
    Aj

Mike, your marquetry skills would allow for something woodworking related, and given it’s a shop piece, maybe a plane or saw or? Or maybe just a nice design with stringing. Or both!

I’m glad the miter box found a good home. That’s what this community is all about and I’m glad we can keep those old tools used. And technically that miter box wasn’t exactly gifted without your generous trade of talent. Those saws you so excellently sharpened for me are my go to backsaws. Hope you are well, and keep building my friend.

I think that you could've fitted a few more drawers in there!

Mike, this is going to be fantastic. I love watching you work. Many thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Here are some final pics of completed sideboard. Finish was Watco oil varnish mixture followed by spray lacquer. Hardware is tiny brass knobs from LV. I'm fairly pleased with the final result, although in retrospect I could've taken some more time to make the through, wedged tennons a little cleaner.

Here it is in the shop – plastic cases for portable power tools fit nicely.

In all candor the tiny drawers are not very practical. However in looking around the shop to see what might fit, stumbled upon my current storage for miscellaneous hardware:

The tiny drawers actually work quite well for storing miscellaneous hinges, knobs, catches etc.

No way I'll remember what's in each drawer – guess it will be mini hardware "treasure hunt" every time I need something. Still have some unused drawers – maybe an opportunity to sort the Brad's/nails from the screws and store them separately?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    No way I'll remember what's in each drawer – guess it will be mini hardware "treasure hunt" every time I need something. Still have some unused drawers – maybe an opportunity to sort the Brad's/nails from the screws and store them separately?
    Nice storage unit.

You might be surprised at how soon you remember what is where. Especially if you categorize where like items are kept.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike,

Beautiful. It kinda makes me think about my shop storage needs and shake my head at the current fixtures. Then I think, nope will not happen until I retire but is a nice dream for now.

ken

Blog Entries
    Mike
    I had the same problem... " No more furniture, we have no place to put it!" So here's what I do now,you do need a lot of toothpicks for the wheels, to say nothing of a bit of patience when making the wheels.I don't make the toothpicks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Nice work Dennis. I like that. Thanks for sharing.
    David

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Mike
    I had the same problem... " No more furniture, we have no place to put it!" So here's what I do now,you do need a lot of toothpicks for the wheels, to say nothing of a bit of patience when making the wheels.I don't make the toothpicks
    Dennis, those are beautiful- I can only imagine how long that took! I admire your patience and skill. My eyes hurt just thinking about working on something that small!

Cheers, Mike

Mike, this is wonderful. Thank you for posting your hard work.

Very well done Mike. It’s good to have things in the shop that make you smile when you flick on the lights or when you use them. It’s even better when you realize you can find something without have to work through various cans plastic trays boxes and such.

Mike, really superb work....Nicely done...Good use of "scraps"...Bet it was fun to build.
    Jerry

Hi Mike,

I've followed this build with interest and think it is fabulous--you'll enjoy the treasure hunt every time I expect (or at least hope!). Great to see more of your work, thanks for posting.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

SSShhhheeeessshhhhhh that is one heck of a nice looking pile of scraps!!!!!!