Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench grinders?

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I just bought it, along with a face shield, some Fostner bits that were half price and a small wooden handscrew which I plan to use to hold small parts on the router table. Looked at some CBN wheels, they'll have to wait a while.

John Jordan , your comment when I bought the lathe, about future purchases is quickly coming true
    Good job Dennis!!!
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I know nothing about bench grinders but they look to me like a motor with two wheels on them. Seems pretty simple to me. I understand that some are more powerful than others. Why then , is there such a wide range of prices? $50- $589 on Amazon, is it simply motor power?
    Look up some 2x72 grinders and be sticker shocked. Not quiet a bench grinder but widely useful. I was going to build one but even with cheap steal and plans, it's still $1,200 for adding a motor and proper VFD so it can be spun down and doubled in RPM for proper grinding. They are mainly for knife making but useful with jigs for sharpening tools and even wood shaping at lower speeds.

I think the profit in hand made knives is high and I'd really like to get into that. To do it right, a 3phase 2hp motor and a KBAC vfd is needed.

My bench grinder sits unused, except for the 10 inch one used in the metal shop.

I use a Viel belt grinder for sharpening and like it much better than a bench grinder.

You can buy belts ranging from 80 grit to leather stropping belts for it....Rod

For the same reason that cars vary so much in price! A bench grinder is a great tool in any shop. The people that poopoo them have not taken the time to understand and learn how to use them effectively. I would not buy a $50.00 unit but I would look for a used $586.00 unit that was considerably less money.

Blog Entries
    Stacked 8" Delta grinder and a 6" Baldor buffer here. Both 3450 rpm. Delta has a standard fine wheel and a wire brush, the Baldor has a polishing bonnet and a Cratex wheel (rubber abrasive for deburring).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-11-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    NOW you tell me...