Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly tools and Shipping

Grizzly tools and Shipping

Any problems having Grizzly tools shipped to your house? looked at their shipping policies, and they are rather restrictive in where and how they will ship. I can't see ordering something as simple as a 78 pound 12 1/2 inch Planer, if I have to get it picked up at a freight terminal.

I have 2 Grizzly tools in my shop, a jointer and a sander. They were delivered to my house and the driver helped me move them down 100' of gravel driveway to the shop. In both cases, I had 3 sheets of plywood and moved them ahead of his pallet jack while he manned the pallet jack. Different drivers, both times I tried to get them to take a $20 tip. One accepted and thanked me. The other driver politely refused saying it wasn't necessary. Legally, I think all they are expected and required to do is set the heavy tool on the ground street side.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Had many deliveries from Grizzly , never had a problem . Do you live "way out in the country" ?

Blog Entries
    Interesting that this comes up so frequently. I have received things that weigh 5 lbs and things that weight 500 lbs. No problems with any of them except the cyclone metal stand. Not sure how they thought that cardboard box was going to survive with all that angle iron in there. The stand made it fine. The box, not so much.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What are you worried about specifically?

All the large Grizzly equipment I have ordered in the past (probably over 15 large items) have been shipped via UPS Freight to the local UPS Freight terminal. I simply show up with my truck and they load the item using a fork lift into the bed of my truck. No extra charge for this service.
    David

It isn't just Grizzly, it is any company shipping freight as they tend to use common freight carriers. My Laguna band saw was delivered by UPS freight and the driver pulled the pallet jack up my inclinded driveway and put it right in my garage - I had to move it to my basement shop.

Another carrier did the same for my Laguna Jointer.

For me, Grizzly has delivered to my door on 4 occasions, all weighing 400 lbs or more. If you don't have a way to get them off the truck, you may have to pay for a lift gate service. I've always been able to use my tractor to get them off the truck. However, on 2 of the 4 times, the truck had a lift gate anyway. I guess it's a crap-shoot whether you get a truck with a lift gate when you don't specifically pay for one. The trucking company does call you to arrange delivery. I think that is your opportunity to make sure you get a lift gate if you need one. If you have a steep drive, depending on the driver, they may leave the tool at the curb. Meaning you have to get it indoors whatever way you can. Generally though, the drivers will do all they can with a pallet jack to get it where you want it.

If you have the tools delivered to a freight forwarder, they'll load into your truck or trailer.

If you live where they cannot get access with a big truck, a freight forwarder might be necessary.

Only one of my machines was delivered by UPS. For that I'm glad. They are the absolute worst carrier: poor handling and slow delivery. I've paid more for some purchases just to avoid UPS shipping. My last purchase was UPS. My driveway is almost flat, and he wouldn't push it up the driveway into my garage (~75 ft). He did let me push it on his pallet truck....while he watched me struggle with a 700+ lb crate.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-04-2020 at 5:34 PM.

I talked to Grizzly 2 weeks back about delivering a bandsaw, and they were not at all encouraging.. Basically, if you can't get an 18-wheeler to your curb without having to back it up, it's a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    I talked to Grizzly 2 weeks back about delivering a bandsaw, and they were not at all encouraging.. Basically, if you can't get an 18-wheeler to your curb without having to back it up, it's a no-go.
    Drivers will meet you somewhere close by if you paid for lift service where they can load into your truck or trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    That has nothing to do with Grizzly, as their hands are kind of tied with that. That's all the freight companies they're contracted with, and specifically them looking out for their drivers, and making sure they have a safe route. Usually they're single drivers that run these deliveries, and in certain spots it's difficult to back up an 18 wheeler without a spotter, especially if you add in traffic.

With that said, most truck drivers are pretty skilled and are willing to manage themselves into tight spaces to get a delivery done. Are you in the city or somewhere? Unless you're in some very tight area, I find it hard to imagine a situation where a truck driver couldn't get to your curb without backing up? But maybe I lack imagination ha!

I consider this to be basically a "non-problem"

I have ordered a number of crated items weighing from 120# to about 600#. All came freight (LTL = less than truck load). My driveway is 500 feet long and 12' wide and intersects the 16' wide street at an 80 degree angle. So there was no way the a semi tractor-trailer could make it to my house, let alone turn around at the end of the street. No problem. I just picked up the loads at the local UPS or Fed-X yard. They loaded the items into my pickup truck for me. If I didn't have a pick-up, I'd just rent one from Home Despot or You-all (sorry, dry sense of humor). I also had a heavy and bulky item delivered by a large box truck. I got a call from the fellow who was at the bottom of my driveway trying to figure out how to make the turn. I just drove down with my pickup, we maneuvered the two vehicles tailgate to tailgate and transferred the load (I drove backwards up my driveway because the tailgate had to be open). In all cases, I unloaded the cargo myself from my pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    That has nothing to do with Grizzly, as their hands are kind of tied with that. That's all the freight companies they're contracted with, and specifically them looking out for their drivers, and making sure they have a safe route. Usually they're single drivers that run these deliveries, and in certain spots it's difficult to back up an 18 wheeler without a spotter, especially if you add in traffic.

With that said, most truck drivers are pretty skilled and are willing to manage themselves into tight spaces to get a delivery done. Are you in the city or somewhere? Unless you're in some very tight area, I find it hard to imagine a situation where a truck driver couldn't get to your curb without backing up? But maybe I lack imagination ha!
    Laguna said: 'if you can get into your garage, we'll get it into your garage.' My local Rockler dealer (Burns tools, Fall River, MA) said the same. Very different from Grizzly, which makes me wonder if they're somehow cutting corners on their shipping service.

FWIW, I'm in an old New England village laid out long before 18-wheelers. I can get a 30' box truck to my garage, but nothing bigger. I've also taken multiple deliveries from Grizzly before with no problem. Something's different now.
    Last edited by Josko Catipovic; 03-04-2020 at 6:32 PM.

This recent thread should be helpful to you....

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-freight-truck

It's not "Grizzly" as others have said...it's how truck deliveries work for items that are over a certain weight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Any problems having Grizzly tools shipped to your house? looked at their shipping policies, and they are rather restrictive in where and how they will ship. I can't see ordering something as simple as a 78 pound 12 1/2 inch Planer, if I have to get it picked up at a freight terminal.
    Might depend on your street. I live in a culdesac and they (Grizzly) said the truck wouldn't driveway deliver even though others thrucks come in on occasion. In my case I would have had to travel about 20 miles to pick up my delivery myself at the distribution center of the freight company. I haven't bought anything yet and the trucking company may deliver it?