Thread: Lessons relearned from a Pinewood Derby entry....

Lessons relearned from a Pinewood Derby entry....

We have grandkids from ages 33 to7 and great-grandkids from ages 13 to 3.

The last 3 weeks we were traveling and when I arrived in Visalia, CA I was asked to help a grandson produce his Pinewood Derby entry. I had our grandson sketch the overall design. The next day we visited the church pastor, also a woodworker, and I borrowed a sharp handsaw and a sanding block. Locally I purchased sandpaper, spray paint and painters tape.

When I got to finish, I must have sprayed 6 coats of spray paint, let it dry and the result was the grain of the wood just became more pronounced. Then I slapped my forehead. We drove to the local HD, purchased a quart of sanding sealer, applied two coats lightly sanding afterwards. Then I sprayed two coats of paint, taped for the contrasting color and sprayed the contrasting color. The results was what I wanted.

I have an end table on my assembly table I need to complete. My wife limits me pretty much to red oak and I always struggle finishing it. Now, I am going to start using a sanding sealer on my finishing samples to see how it affects the stains prior finishing the projects.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have mixed plaster and shellac with some success, ordinary wallboard plaster. In small amounts it seems translucent but sealed in shellac it does not absorb stain so the grain of Oak does not dominate.

Ken,
    Sorry this is off topic. But your post made me smile. What a pleasure it must be to build a pinewood derby car with your grandson! I'll bet it's something he'll remember for a very long time!

All the best,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred,

It was indeed a pleasure! The opportunity allowed me to relearn a finishing lesson which I hope to utilize in the coming weeks in my shop.

We just removed all furniture from the LR and FR of our home, repainted changing colors and had new carpeting laid. Currently I am touching up the ceiling paint, and taking "stuff" to the dump or to Goodwill as we are starting to minimize "stuff" in our home. What we get rid of now, our children won't have eliminate in the future as we become either too old to handle the place or in the event of our demise. Once we get everything back to normal in our FR, I can return to the shop and complete the end table. The wife is starting to pressure me for it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This brought back nice memories of when my son and I built his "car" for the Pinewood Derby. Using way too much of my MIT education, the car had a ridiculously low amount of drag and friction, and more potential energy from the weight location, and won easily. Other parents not terribly happy. Fun for my son and I, though. He still has the car on his bookshelf.

What was worse, was when we built a catamaran for the Raingutter Regatta that won by a mile.

Not as bad as the Science Fair projects, but needless to say, I'll be toning it down for the grandkids, though most of their schools have long abandoned Science Fairs. Giving everyone a participation award got ridiculous.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Sanding sealers make money for manufacturers for sure. In this case, it's more about grain sealing and filling, but under paints like you describe it's important to "use something" to get a good end result. A high build sandable primer is an alternative to "sanding sealer". Spray bomb primer works great for these small projects, but be sure to spray it outside because of the fumes.

As to compatibility with stains...it will affect the coloration and that effect will vary with species and the type of stain you are using. Always do a trial or four with material that's the same as you are using for your project, sanded to the same level and taken through at least the first top coat to ascertain if the schedule is going to work for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...