Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Package from Passport Office

Strange Package from Passport Office

A couple of weeks ago, the wife and I mailed in our application for renewal passports to Philadelphia.

Yesterday, I received a notice from UPS that a package would be arriving, overnight, by 10:30am today.

A package did arrived and it contained this.

To me it looks like a '+' key for some kind of keyboard or machine.

This picture is 3 on these, showing the back, front and side. The '+' is spring loaded.

keep the box and call the post office and passport office someone may have stolen your passport. the mail you got makes the passport office think you received it.

Already spoke to the passport processing center. Our applications are in the works being processed in SC.

The package, with the strange contents came from Dover, NH.

The second person, at the Passport Office, has requested that I send these items back, with an explanation, to their Sterling,VA location.

Only 45 more States to get involved.

it's not a "+" button, the cross is what holds the actual keycap, which will have the female + to snap it onto to switch. Not sure of the application, looks like a panel-mount version of a typical computer key switch.. ?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Was the return address the State Department or affiliate?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    it's not a "+" button, the cross is what holds the actual keycap, which will have the female + to snap it onto to switch. Not sure of the application, looks like a panel-mount version of a typical computer key switch.. ?
    Ah yes, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Was the return address the State Department or affiliate?
    The return address was the State Dept. in Sterling VA.

The package originated in Dover, NH, according to UPS tracking.

maybe if you plant them you will get rich. All those pluses you know. Sure they did not come from China?
    Bill D

Those are mechanical keyboard switches - mechanical in that they use a linkage/mechanism to give a better "feel" than "cheap" keyboards that use a rubber membrane that flexes.
    https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-cream-switches

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Those are mechanical keyboard switches - mechanical in that they use a linkage/mechanism to give a better "feel" than "cheap" keyboards that use a rubber membrane that flexes.
    https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-cream-switches
    Wow, I had $650 worth of them in that bag.....

I sent them back, with a letter of explanation, to the main Dept. of State Passport center.

I bet I get them back in a couple of weeks, not that I'll know what to do with them.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-18-2020 at 7:47 PM.

Anything from pass port office would come USPS, not UPS, unless you were in a foreign country and had lost / stolen pass port.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Anything from pass port office would come USPS, not UPS, unless you were in a foreign country and had lost / stolen pass port.
    I called UPS to verify where it was picked up from/originated, along with a letter from the Passport Dept.

It's still a mystery as to why this came to me.

I wonder if it's a variant of the recent "seeds from China" thing which was basically a scheme where a company creates a fake purchasing account on a platform like Amazon and uses real names and addresses (but fake email accounts) to create glowing reviews after sending a package of similar size and weight to the real addressee. They actually have to ship something to get a "verified buyer" designation on the fake reviews. I believe the term for this scheme is "brushing".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Conspiracy theories...Let's keep them coming...

This was the UPS shipping label and the enclosed letter, address redacted.

Someone took the time to create this letter, with my name and address on it, and also pay next day delivery by 10:30AM and mail $650 worth of parts.

I actually contacted the people in Dan's link, to see if this order may have been for one of their customers. They replied, but do not believe the parts originated from them.

So, does this mean someone was able to get Chris' address from the Passport office? Or just weird coincidence? I'd never heard of "brushing" before this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep