Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trying to make room for bigger jointer

Compare the cost of setting up with a VFD for the existing motor vs just replacing the 3-ph motor with a 1-ph motor of equal horsepower. Jointing isn't intensive work...the bites are small unless you are doing some specialized work, such as rabiting which can be done so many other ways.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And you could sell the 3-phase motor.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I was having a lot of trouble finding anything in that lower price range. Theoretically, isn’t a jointer that could be either single or three phase be more valuable than one that can only be one of those ?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

You certainly don't need our help to rationalize how to spend more money on shop machinery.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Well, the VFD already arrived, and I think I'll give it a go. One more thing to learn/understand can't hurt my crowded brain too much. LOL

Meanwhile, last night I finished a major step (multiple steps really) of this process...

1) Raised the table saw an additional 1/2" as the jointer fence was going to just barely be nipped when passing wide boards across the saw

2) Removed the outfeed table so I could do step 1,and also so I could access everything else I needed to do

3) Removed the extension table from the table saw rails

4) Took apart my router table

5) Re-purposed the angle iron from step 3 to support the the top of the router table from step 4... added 4 bolts (and busted a drill bit along the way) to secure in place. This was a BUGGER of a process step overall.

6) Cut down the extension table surface to fit the gap between router table and cast iron... affixed with two through bolts countersunk into the top.

7) Waxed the table saw rails since I had easy access.

8) Swapped out a straight piece for a wye in the overhead DC duct so that I could reconnect collection at the router table's new location.

9) Added a better support block on the back of the table saw for my outfeed table to screw into.. Been wanting to do that for awhile, so this was convenient timing.

10) I always disliked the support legs on the extension table.. felt too wobbly and in-the-way... Since my saw butts up to my miter station, I instead added to support blocks to the face of the miter station and up tight to the underside of the front and back table saw rail. Works like a charm.

11) cleaned up the shop and had a beer

In other words, it was not an easy task, but it turned out well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.

That little drive would be worth it just for the soft start plus it will convert single phase to three phase for ya
    good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post

The biggest question in this move is... Will I love or hate having the router table in the extension wing of my table saw? Will it be a problem that I can only access front and back (not left and right) in that position (since table saw and miter saw station block the left /right)?

Any other thoughts?

Bob R.
    I have my router in my table saw extension wing. I use the table saw fence to hold the fence for the router. The only problem I've encountered is when I want to use the table saw while I have the router set up for use. I have to move the fence to make the cut and then re-set up the router. But for space savings it's pretty good.

What I'd like is to add another band saw. I have a big one now (20") and I'd leave a wide saw blade in that one. Then I'd get a smaller one for fine cutting. That way I wouldn't have to swap blades so often.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looks good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    That little drive would be worth it just for the soft start plus it will convert single phase to three phase for ya
    good luck
    Ron
    Thanks Ron! I figure there are good reasons for going this route, and it doesn't hurt that I will now have some knowledge of VFDs.... in our area, I tend to see a lot of very reasonably priced equipment that is only reasonably priced because of the 3-phase power requirements. If I know how to deal with this scenario now, it could open up future purchase options potentially.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have my router in my table saw extension wing. I use the table saw fence to hold the fence for the router. The only problem I've encountered is when I want to use the table saw while I have the router set up for use. I have to move the fence to make the cut and then re-set up the router. But for space savings it's pretty good.

Mike

Hi Mike,
    I had considered using the table saw fence to serve both the saw and router, but instead opted for bringing my existing router table fence over to the new location. I made that decision partially for the reason you just noted - I don't want to have to break down a setup to use the other tool. Also, my router table fence was already modified by me to accept 4" dust port, so keeping it is a nice efficiency.

One other note... I decided to setup the router as far from the saw blade as possible to reduce the number of instances where I ever need to remove the router fence. I can rip about 40 inches before I need to remove the router fence (and then, I can rip up to 50"). I can envision having the router table setup for an operation and not needing to break down that setup during the entire project.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    One minor addition to the router table setup last night:

I have a 10-year-old shop vac with a broken switch.... it's stuck in "on" mode permanently. While I'm sure the switch can be repaired, I have another use this time around that takes advantage of this "flaw"...

When I disassembled the Bosch router table so that the top could be used in the table saw extension, I saved the paddle switch which accepts two plugs on the back side. I mounted the switch nearby to the router table's new location and plugged the router into it, and my faulty shop vac.

After using a cable tie to hold the shop vac hose under the table and near the spinning bit, I now have below-table collection (the shop vac) in addition to the above-table collection (from my dust collector).. And, it automatically turns on each time I turn on the router.

LOL, I'll consider this an instance of frugally making lemonade out of lemons.

If I love this setup, I'll formalize the setup a bit more (e.g. better-than-cable-tie connection, maybe a dust topper pre-separator to save me from going through too many shop vac filter bags)
    - Bob R.

Bob reading through your threads scares me . I am reminded very much of someone I see every morning when I look in the mirror... I will say it is at least four times more fun building a shop from used equipment and finding ways to accomplish what you need. Keep on and enjoy the journey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Bob reading through your threads scares me . I am reminded very much of someone I see every morning when I look in the mirror... I will say it is at least four times more fun building a shop from used equipment and finding ways to accomplish what you need. Keep on and enjoy the journey.
    You've triggered my "down memory lane" and story telling instincts... (well, maybe being a bit stir crazy during this virus shut down helped too)

At the least, it's 4 times less expensive! ha ha There's a New England (where I grew up) term "Yankee frugality" which basically amounts to being resourceful, inventive, and figuring out how to be productive with items at hand.

Here's one of many links on the topic

For me, this hobby started out honestly and out of necessity. Basically, baby 1 had arrived, and baby 2 was coming soon. Wifey decided she wanted to stay home to raise the babies. I was all for it... then reality that my (then) young career wasn't really at full steam yet. In other words, we weren't rich. If we wanted nice things, I'd have to build them.

Trouble was, I hadn't ever swung a hammer, measured an inch, cut a board. Certainly hadn't mudded sheetrock or wired a light switch.

Little by little, I rebuilt our "compound". Entire kitchens, structural work, decks, patios, basketball court, the barn saving. People thought I was nuts, but our only path to improving any of these spaces was for me to do it, do it nicely, and do it on a budget.

Often this meant being a frugal Yankee. Sometimes the right tool was not available. Improvise! Nearly never was a brand new tool possible within our spending power. Buy used! Curbside building materials, mowers, etc. Not too proud to take another man's trash and turn into treasure.

Along the way, it became clear to me that working with my mind and hands (vs. just my mind at my consulting career) was therapeutic, and that eventually my carpentry types of tasks would come mostly to an end someday. It was obvious to me that woodworking was the evolution.

The New Englander in me thinks through this hobby same as the compound renovation. Money is flowing far better over the past decade, but I can't help but be thrifty. It's a fun challenge, and it makes me feel like my hobby producing items that could be easily store bought for far less has merits beyond my sanity.... I've found that I can break even using my current approach. I sell a couple whatevers here and there, and I get a cool shop to tinker around in.

Sorry for the long boring story! I guess I felt like sharing. Would love to hear yours
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Jointer knives installed and checked with dial indicator. Guard reinstalled. Test cut successful!! Back to work!!DBF5C8D6-27A8-46F2-9353-979CA17171E0.jpg
    - Bob R.