Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you pickup a 60 gallon compressor with straps?

Can you pickup a 60 gallon compressor with straps?

Gonna go pickup my 60 gallon quincy compressor tomorrow that came in. I'm debating on how I should load and unload it. I think it weighs 5-600 pounds, so I was thinking of using my straps I bought and just put a strap or two under the pump/motor base that's welded to the tank and pick it up then just back the trailer under it. Same with unloading and getting it off the pallet, that way it's a one man just with a forklift and quick.

My concern thought is that base that's welded onto the tank may not be beefy enough for that, opinions? Then again the base that holds the motor and pump is pretty much where all the weight is correct? Or does the tank itself make up most of the weight?

I prefer the trailer method cause then I can just strap it to the side of the trailer, 4ft tall sides.

Putting it in the back of the truck isn't going to happen since these compressors are so top heavy. I'd prefer if it falls over in the trailer and not out of the bed of my truck and onto the road.

You can put it into your truck and use ratchet tie-down straps from the top of the compressor to each corner of your bed. No problem at all if you cinch them up tight. I've done this many times with no problems. Something like this.
    David

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EVEREST-...-203566771-_-N
    Tie Down Straps.jpg

My 60 gallon compressor came bolted to a pallet from the factory. They ship them in semi trailers all day long this way and usually never have an issue with tipping over. I had mine loaded with a forklift into the back of my truck and strapped it down with ratchet straps and drove the 75 mile trip home. Unloaded with one person helping by sliding off the truck tailgate. Then maneuvered into place. No problems.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Gonna go pickup my 60 gallon quincy compressor tomorrow that came in. I'm debating on how I should load and unload it. I think it weighs 5-600 pounds, so I was thinking of using my straps I bought and just put a strap or two under the pump/motor base that's welded to the tank and pick it up
    This thread is useless without VIDEO!

No problem lifting under the motor base. I'd tie it diagonally in four directions.

Tom is spot on. Your never going to have to worry about a Quincy motor base plate weld. They are built like tanks. (No pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Tom is spot on. Your never going to have to worry about a Quincy motor base plate weld. They are built like tanks. (No pun intended)
    I agree with this, but I have owned two that the weld there cracked. No big deal, I just found another tank.
    I currently own 3 Quincy compressors a couple 350s and a 390.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I agree with this, but I have owned two that the weld there cracked. No big deal, I just found another tank.
    I currently own 3 Quincy compressors a couple 350s and a 390.

air tank welds do crack either the feet or the compressor/motor mount. This is due to vibration. I set mine on some truck tire treads under the feet. It no longer visably rocks on start up or shutdown.
    Is this vertical or horizontal?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    air tank welds do crack either the feet or the compressor/motor mount. This is due to vibration. I set mine on some truck tire treads under the feet. It no longer visably rocks on start up or shutdown.
    Is this vertical or horizontal?
    Bil lD
    All mine are/were horizontal. Two have 200 gallon tanks. I hate moving vertical compressors.

Tall top heavy items are loaded against the wall on the trailer and then strapped to the wall onto an e track. I have seen entire tractor trailer loads sitting on there side and I almost always ask the driver if they drive like an idiot. Of course they always blame the loading dock.

I'm going to go the trailer route. I just don't feel comfortable putting it in the truck. I have lifting straps, so basically all you do is lift it up two feet then back the trailer up. I can't get the ramp off for some reason and don't want to mess with not being able to get it back on also. Just as long as I can lift it and not bend that base plate up i'll be happy. I'm not worried about the welds. lol Either that or just 4 or 5 home depot employees to slide it up the ramp and onto the trailer. (That's probably an even better idea) lol

Your home depot may actually load a heavy item like that using a forklift...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A word of caution - - things that weigh over 300 pounds - have a mind of their own.

If at any time during you moving that thing - it gets away from you - - just let it go. Step back and watch.

I nearly lost my right hand trying to guide a 60 gallon compressor onto a cart. The bottom kicked out & I foolishly thought I could prevent it falling over.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...