Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mid-sized plunge router

Best mid-sized plunge router

I have a plunge base for my Bosch Colt and I have a big Dewalt 625 that has served me faithfully for about 15 years, but sometimes I need more power than the Bosch has but want a machine smaller and less top heavy than the Bosch, so I need a plunge router in the 2.5 hp area. I want something less expensive than the Festool. I already have a good stationary base router in that size/power range so I don't need one of the package deals, but am not opposed to getting one. I am considering the Bosch or Dewlt packages that Lowes sells for about $225. What would you buy?

I have the DeWalt 2 1/4hp, 3 base package that I really like. I tend to use the D handle base the most as I have always preferred D handle routers, but the plunge and regular base come in handy when you need them. It probably depends on whether you would find those other bases useful or not.

I had the Dewalt 621 I think is the model. A really nice midsized plunger. Gave it to my son. Very good dust collection, smooth plunge, plenty of power. The base is small so I used aftermarket plexiglass plates from Pat Warner as well as ones I made. I believe it is still the best of the current offerings. The other one I still have is an old Porter Cable 7529 that I love but they don’t make any more. I have tried various multi-base units but the plunge bases are never as good as the dedicated plungers.

Is the 621 just a scaled down 625? It looks like it from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Is the 621 just a scaled down 625? It looks like it from the pictures.
    Not exactly. The 621 extracts sawdust through one of the support columns. That's a big advantage. The 621 is about the only router I've met where you can have dust collection and you can see in to where the bit is cutting.

The 621 is an old enough design that it doesn't have lighting built in, but you should be able to fix that with the Lee Valley light: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...as-plunge-base

I have a PC 890 with fixed and plunge base, works nice and the dust collection its very good with the plunge base.

There is no "best", but there are a bunch of good options.

In the mid-sized category, all of the major brands have options; many of them actually offering multiple bases so you can choose what's best for a given operation. I actually prefer a fixed base for certain things because of the lower center of gravity and (in many cases) easier precise depth adjustment for things like edging. Mine happens to be the DeWalt D1618. My most used router is my Festool OF1400 for when plunging comes into play, but the DeWalt plunge base works great, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Being a router user you know how tactile they are in use as far as balance, grip, ease of control, etc. I would wander in to your local big box store or woodworking specialty store and try a few on for size. The ease and quality of the plunge and collet mechanisms and variable speed being primarily important to me.

We all have our favorite. that's why we use them. I switched to Milwaukees many years ago and am familiar and comfortable with them. This means I would recommend them. This doesn't mean that the equivalent Bosch or De Walt isn't the right tool for you. The De Walt has a proven height setting mechanism but, their collets on their smaller router are kinda whimpy. The Bosch line up offers some trick controls that may tip you that way but, there are too many reports of failures with these for me. Sometimes basic is best but again, this will depend on what features are most important to you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I want to have one to use this weekend, so I think I am going to just go to lowes and look at the dewalt, Bosch and Metabo kits they have and decide which one feels best. I looked last time i was there and thought the Bosch's plunge mechanism was stiff and the Metabo just kind of felt cheap. I'll try to get back there today and re-evaluate.

I like to fondle power tools, prior to buying them. Some just don't feel all that great in the hand... Similar to buying firearms. If a pistol doesn't feel right, it's a challenge to shoot well. I probably have a dozen routers of different size and make, and I find myself reaching for my trusty old fixed base PC 690 99% of the time. My first choice plunge router is the Milwaukee. The Milwaukee fixed base is my #2 fixed, but only if the 690 is being used for something else, like DT's and I need both.

I have two PC 690s (and a Bosch Colt and a few others) and like them but switching to the plunge base from the fixed is not real quick. So I have a DeWalt 621 (which used to be a Elu) on my wish list. It was Pat Warner's favorite. It may be a bit quirky but I like the size and the built in dust collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I have two PC 690s (and a Bosch Colt and a few others) and like them but switching to the plunge base from the fixed is not real quick. So I have a DeWalt 621 (which used to be a Elu) on my wish list. It was Pat Warner's favorite. It may be a bit quirky but I like the size and the built in dust collection.

I don't plan on using the fixed base. I have a Freud in that power range that I like well enough that is fixed base.

I must have at least 20 routers. My best plunge router is the Bosch 1613VS router. Love the soft start and smooth operation. Good visability.
    John T.

I have a Milwaukee 5616 EVS router with both a plunge base and a fixed base. The fixed base's body-grip feature is as close as you can get to a palm router, in a higher-HP (2.25) router. I really like the body grip with small bits and/or light cuts. This router also does double duty for me in a router table with lift.

The 5615 is the same basic router, with a 1.75 HP fixed speed motor, for less height and lighter weight. The fixed base is identical to that on the 5616

Andy - Arlington TX

Of the several routers I own, I think the Festool OF1400 is the one I would choose if I had to keep only one. The centerline marks on the base allow precise line up of the center of the bit which avoids having to make a separate measurement of where the edges of the bit will end up. Can’t beat dust collection. It has all the power I require for that size router and more. If you own Festool guide rails it can be used on the rails with the guide stop accessory when cutting dados or just touting a straight cut. I love it. Whether it would be the best choice for you is personal preference.