Thread: Running CNC on the Windows side Parallels Mac Book Pro

Running CNC on the Windows side Parallels Mac Book Pro

Because of some unexpected health issues I am selling my 48 x 48 large CNC router. Thinking of getting another much smaller one... has anyone ran either Mach4 or Acorn on the Win7 Pro Parallels side of a MacBook Pro. I think its to old to run Windows 10 so that is kind of ruled out.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I would not try running under parallels, but should work fine under bootcamp. I would not use a MacBook Pro as a machine controller, pick up a cheap intel nuc or minix type computer (sealed, no moving parts) to dedicate to the CNC, and use the Mac as a design computer.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

I agree with Richard on all counts. You could also choose a small CNC that will support MacOS...Shapeoko does, for example. And you can still use Vectric software under Parallels for more advanced design while sending code to the machine from MacOS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

While many software programs will work running parallels or bootcamp under the Mac OS, I would not even think about using that scenario to run a cnc controller that was not designed for the Mac OS. It just isn't worth it from both operational and especially safety concerns.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC