Thread: Sources for building plans for garage/shop?

Sources for building plans for garage/shop?

I want to renovate or, more likely, remove and replace my existing detached garage to create a shop space. I am on a city lot and am limited to something around 25' x 25' or so. I want to do as much of the construction as I am capable of, but I will hire out electric, any hvac, and probably foundation (unless it's simple). Plumbing, unfortunately, is prohibited in detached garages here, probably to prevent the space from being used as a residence. I am thinking of a wooden frame building, both to fit in with the neighborhood and because it seems easiest to insulate and do the construction work on my own.

I can follow a building plan, but I don't know enough to create one. I'll need one to get a permit here. I used an architect for a recent house renovation, but this project seems simple enough that off the shelf plans might suffice. Are there good sources of plans available online somewhere? Searches here and elsewhere for shop plans turn up more layout ideas than building plans. I am sketchup capable, if that helps.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

I don't know where to send you to look for pre-designed plans. Stud framing is very simple and you can find tables in carpentry books that will tell you what dimension of joist you need for each length of span, rafter size charts and that kind of thing. That way you could design the building to fit your space and needs, and not have to use someone else's plan that might not be quite what you want.
    Zach

Blog Entries
    I've heard in the past that some lumber yards have "building packages" where they can provide the lumber you'll need along with approved plans. I've never gone that route myself, but might be worth a couple quick calls.

Side note regarding water... Adding water/drainage to my detached barn shop also comes with complications (township red tape, insurance impact, high cost) so I ended up installing a gravity feed system. 50 gallon tank (filled by garden hose when needed), connected to a typical utility sink, draining to two daisy-chained 5 gallon totes (with handles).

When the drainage totes are full, I carry them inside my main house and dump down a utility sink there. My township approved this setup figuring it's the same as walking inside to wash hands etc. but I know many who wouldn't have even asked for a setup like mine.

The 50 gallon tank lasts quite a while if you're smart about usage... I have about 2/3's still available from my fill up just before cold weather forced me to winterize and store my garden hose that is used to fill it up back in early November. Also, our water here is 'city water' and is therefore treated with chlorine etc... so I haven't had to do anything to keep the water "fresh". We don't drink it, but plenty good for general cleanup tasks around the woodshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 03-03-2020 at 2:36 PM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My brother paid about $200. ten years ago for a set of garage plans about 25x35 feet. It had some odd things like interior short wing walls on the long wall for wind and seismic reinforcement. Like a flying buttress but inside. Also had plywood nailed in middle as storage shelf but required as stiffening. It included several roof options of trusses, rafter or gambrel trusses. Your location will probably require some huricane/tornado extras.
    Note that nails must not be full round head and not clipped head in most jurisdictions. Do yourself a favor and buy a positive placement nailer for all the clip nailing. Also a palm nailer for those hard top reach ones.
    It included several copies with engineering stamps for building inspector, builder, planning commission etc.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-03-2020 at 8:13 PM.

Hire a local, experienced carpenter to help you the first day, or few. It's pretty simple, but this will be worth the cost.

Thanks for the good ideas. I did find several books on building garages and outbuildings through my local library system catalog online. I haven't seen the books yet, but they are supposed to contain plans. I don't expect any of them to be perfect for me, but they may give me a start or at least an idea of what I am up against.

I just did a Google search on "Garage Plans"....and there are lots of things that come up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have to say that, while it is "simple enough," you may still want to have a consult with the architect you worked with on the house. He is familiar with the place and would probably have the best eye to tie everything in together and his plans would likely go through the planning dept more smoothly. Get a good idea of your needs/wants for the new space, which you can get plenty of advice on here, and then call the architect. You then have a proper set of drawings to work from. That will make you owner builder process go better, I think.

My shop is 24'x26'. Free plan from the lumber yard for purchasing from them. It is a slightly modified two car garage plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Hire a local, experienced carpenter to help you the first day, or few. It's pretty simple, but this will be worth the cost.
    This would be well worth it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Do not tear your old garage down before talking to the building inspection people. Sometimes the red tape is easier if you use part of your existing building as part of the new building. I knew a guy who wanted to build a larger garage in his back yard, and he had to leave one wall of the old garage as part of the new garage, or they would not let him do his project.