Thread: Options for lest side Incra TS fense?

Options for lest side Incra TS fense?

I have a mid 90's right tilt Unisaw. I installed the Incra 32" fence on it several years ago. Love the fence, but not too keen on the right tilt blade. Yesterday I was ripping some baltic birch at a 45 deg tilt to make a box, and the whole time I was wishing I had a left tilt saw, then I started thinking..... Thinking about how to cobble together a second fence that I can use to the left of the blade. I obviously would not have a lot of real estate to the left of the blade, but I wouldn't need much for 90% of the stuff I might need to rip at an angle.

Before I carry on with this mental engineering process, I figured I'd ask the forum if anyone else has already built this mouse trap???? Buying new TS is not an option for me. Plus, I like my old saw, just not happy with the blade tilt....

Incra usually includes a second set of rail bolts to use as stops on the left side of the rails for setting up for router cuts. Depending on your shop space and whether you often use the full 32" of travel, you could even shift the rails a bit. You should have 15" to 16" of table to the left of the blade and the fence rail could be right at that. Again--space is the issue as when you flip the carriage the positioner arm would stick out a bit. And if you have the shop room, not much to stop you from adding a small extension table to the left side. If you try it and it really works--a set of longer rails could give you plenty of travel on both sides of the blade--but a long way to walk to get your cut pieces!!
    earl

I had a similar fence and rail set up, made by a now defunct competitor. Right tilt saw as well. For reasons other than the blade tilt direction, I put the whole set up to the left of the blade. Just slid the rails the other direction and mounted the fence.

If I remember correctly, this put the tape backwards. Took some getting used to, but I’m mostly ambidextrous now with the table saw.

Interesting idea moving the fence to the left. I had not considered that before. Feels weird though, when I visualize it.

It would be nice if Incra made a 'mini' auxiliary fence that would not utilize their fence adjuster, just a drop it onto the rails and clamp down sort of auxiliary fence design. One that would not require so much space. Currently, I clamp a board down to the rails when I really need to work to the left of the blade.

I have a friend with the same issue, though with the fence with the full length rails. He picks up the whole fence and flips it around when making angled cuts....don’t know if yours has the same rails?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I have a friend with the same issue, though with the fence with the full length rails. He picks up the whole fence and flips it around when making angled cuts....don’t know if yours has the same rails?
    No, I did not buy the system with the longer rails due to my 'shop' being my two car garage......the 32" set up takes up as much floor space that I can accommodate. There is not enough room to the left of the blade to flip the fence with this particular rail length.

I plan to take an early retirement in a couple years, and part of that plan is to relocate and build a dedicated shop, so I'm resisting the urge to buy new machines right now. I'll do that after I move, as I do not want to transport heavy machines from Alaska to the lower 48.

Just the bridge on mine, the piece that clamps to the rails, is at least 8” wide. This wouldn’t leave much room between the blade and inside edge if your rails are flush to the left edge of your saw.

I imagine you could engineer something up that would be narrower. I will say I have had the fence break loose a couple of times in many years. Not much fun when you’re in the middle of a cut. You need as much friction as you can get on those smooth extruded aluminum rails.

As for having the fence on the “wrong” side. It definitely makes each cut a cognitive exercise, especially when my other saws are left tilt with the fence on the right. Muscle memory is a powerful force.