Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ... VW bugs were $1800 at the time.
    I think I'm old now. My first new car was a Fiat 128, $1800 plus tax. I read about it in Popular Mechanics and bought the first one imported into our area in 70 or 71 I think. That was a great car.

JKJ

We used to get Sunoco 260 for 28c, on Telegraph Rd. (M-24) on our way to the Detroit Dragway, to run my '641/2 Mustang GT. That was back in '68.

I remember McDonalds signs saying; More than 3 million sold.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I bought my first car in 1954. It was a yellow Plymouth convertible.

We must be close Lowell. My first car was a '55 Dodge in 1958. I was 15 1/2 which was when I got my license.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My first car had a push-button starter on the dashboard and a choke. If there was a gas war it would sometimes cost 12 or 13 cents a gallon. For that they would fill it up, wash the windshield and check the oil. I don't ever remember getting a fill up; usually it was a dollars worth or 50 cents worth. A dollar's worth usually meant that my buddies had antied up.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My first was a 63 Impala SS 327CI, 300 hp 3 on the tree. Wish I had it now.

Mine was a 1958 Rocket 88 - all black
    2020-03-18_16h01_08.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My first car was a 1960 BMW 700 Coupe. Rear engine 2 cylinder air cooled, just Googled it and Wikipedia has a picture of my car (at least it looks the same fire engine red).

But what makes me feel old is remembering when a glass of draft beer was 20 cents. Typically my buddy and I would order 2 each and 1 for the waiter so the whole round was $1.00. Waiters lost a lot of tips when the price went up to 25 cents each.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    My first was a 63 Impala SS 327CI, 300 hp 3 on the tree. Wish I had it now.
    Three on the tree? Did that slow down your performance? Seems like it would - werent those pretty long throws between certain gears?

I always wanted a 63.....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Three on the tree? Did that slow down your performance? Seems like it would - werent those pretty long throws between certain gears?

I always wanted a 63.....
    Absolutely, it had huge lags between gears. Would have preferred a 4 speed on the floor but that's way GM made this one. It was used when I bought it of course. Cherry bomb mufflers drove the neighbor crazy.

I was visiting my parents a couple of years ago. At that time my dad was 78 and my mom 77. My dad was reading the paper, and he came across an article about the senior citizen's center having a pancake breakfast. He read it aloud to my mom and she said, "I don't want to be around all those old people!" Then she looked at me and started laughing, and said, "I guess we are those old people now, huh?"

I've found that as I get older, getting out of bed in the morning becomes a process rather than just something you do. Gotta get the body moving a bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    [edited]
    I've found that as I get older, getting out of bed in the morning becomes a process rather than just something you do. Gotta get the body moving a bit.
    A tip for older people on this, wiggle all your toes before you stand up. It is indicated as being helpful at preventing falls or light headedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Mine was a 1958 Rocket 88 - all black
    2020-03-18_16h01_08.jpg
    My neighbor had one of those he sold a couple years ago. It was a double dip, black and white, same year. My folks had a furniture and appliance store with one line being Frigidaire appliances. My folks were able to purchase vehicles at model changes for a great discount. We had a '56 Chevy V8 Bel Air. It was a great car. My oldest brother traded it for a pick up truck.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In college, worked at service station (remember them?) Salesmen from Pontiac dealer next door would take customer out for a "test drive." Pull up to the pump (full service) and ask for a quarter's worth of premium, which over a half gallon. Key to bathroom door was attached to a full sized hub cap. K Marts, buzzed you into bathroom, you had to ask. In "gas wars" the reason price never fell below 11 cents was that was the tax which had to be paid. Oil companies actually gave away the gas to get rid of it. Seems that their product was blocking the transmission pipeline.

When your children start to look middle aged.....
    Jerry

When the doctors start to look like teenagers.