Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    When you can't keep your pants up without suspenders. I complained that Levi had changed the pattern for 501s, Linda pointed out that I no longer had the "great" butt of my youth.
    I think the jean manufacturers think everyone is a plumber.

Blog Entries
    When you reminisce while calling a friend about having to use an operator when making a long distance call, either station to station or person to person.

If you ever new what a DA hair cut was or knew someone who had one.

There is a local restaurant with a 1950s theme. The waitresses wear poodle skirts. Remembering a girlfriend who wore one could make one feel young and old at the same time.

When you stop at a different place to have a burger and inquire if by any chance they could make your milkshake a malted.

When people look at you funny when you say something like, "it's the bee's knees."

When you hear a coin drop on the counter and know it is silver.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You realize it didn't take very long to get old.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When I worked at McDonalds in 1967 I worked the cash register. We had to add up the order totals in our heads and figure the tax rate. Even the register didn't add things up. There was a little tax table tacked on the wall but after a while it was memorized and not needed.

BTW, the building said McDonalds #10 whatever that meant (in Pittsburgh PA) and the sign outside said 2 million sold. We made the french fries were made from fresh potatoes.

JKJ

I remember those tax tables. I had the best job ever in '65 - a soda jerk at the place across from the high school.

When you have more hair in your ears than on your head.

When the word goat still reminds you of the best car you ever had.

When you grew up with a phone number that was 9

When you remember EXACTLY where you were when JFK was killed.

And Link Wray and Gene Vincent are still a favorites.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I wish there was a like button here because many of these are so true.

I say this all the time because I remember my Mom telling me don't get old! I always use to tell her I wish she would have told me that sooner.

Hey Vinyl records are making a comeback so that helps. Someone is making a new walkman radio I heard too.

Remember when gas was 19.9cents a gallon and there were gas wars.

Started going to sleep with my socks on so I did not have to bend down to put them on in the morning.

Always leave the shoes tied so I can slip into them. My shoelaces outlive the shoes.
    John T.

You interview a guy at work and realize he was not born yet when you started working there.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Trips to the bathroom. Can I suggest drinking more during the day and at night. sounds like odd advice, but if I'm dehydrated I get up more at night. I drink 2 or 3 glasses of lemonade or water between 7pm and bed time around 11 pm and only get up once and sometimes not at ll during the night, if I don't drink I'll get up 2 or 3 times. Sounds weird I know but give it a try it can't hurt.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

When you have more replacement parts your body then OME LOL Hips, knee's, wrists, ect ect
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    When you grew up with a phone number that was 9
    9R or 9T if you were on a party line.

My first job other than working at the folk's store was with Pacific Telephone & Telegraph. In the first few years of working there two small cities in the area changed over to dial phones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My first portable battery powered radio was a very expensive AM all transistor radio. I had the money to buy the radio because I delivered newspapers, remember the big newsboys bicycles with the huge metal baskets Although the radio was "all transistor" the signal would often be lost when changing direction.

About the same time I got a present from my parents that was a kit to build a short wave radio. I remember staying up late at night to listen to a radio station in New York City that played rock and roll music which was illegal in most states at the time. I couldn't receive the signal during the day, don't know why but I assumed there was less air wave traffic once all of the Television stations stopped transmitting at midnight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    And the floor has turned to glue. Ever try getting up.
    It isn't glue, gravity has gotten stronger. Just step on a scale.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

"You're getting old when"

You belong to a woodworking forum.............Rod.

When you take a shower and your happy nothing fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

About the same time I got a present from my parents that was a kit to build a short wave radio. I remember staying up late at night to listen to a radio station in New York City that played rock and roll music which was illegal in most states at the time. I couldn't receive the signal during the day, don't know why but I assumed there was less air wave traffic once all of the Television stations stopped transmitting at midnight.
    Heath Kit, of Benton Harbor Michigan? Cousin Brucie from WABC, New York. (WSL- New Oleans,WSM- Memphis,WABC- New York WOWO- Fort Wayne, WHAM- Louisville, WTOP- Washington DC. KDKA) Back then you could send a post card (remember them?) to station, and they would send you a "DX card back. I remember building both a crystal radio, and one using a "blue razor blade" for the crystal, and a straightened safety pin for the "cat whisker." We lived a couple miles from a 50,000 watt AM station. Had a neighbor who built a crystal radio. He wired speakers into each room. To control speaker in any room, he opened , or closed the knife switch located on the wall below speaker. Was "King of the Road" when I got a "Rocket Radio."

You remember when portable radios told you, on the front, how many transistors they had. The count kept going up from 5 to 7 then 9 is as high as I remember.
    Bil lD