Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    An attempt of mine to reduce the amount of paper used in my previous situation was taken on by management and due to their inability at understanding the purpose resulted in using three times more paper to do the record keeping. (now that is a run on sentence)

There is always someone to take on a simple task and make it in to a colossal display or ineptitude.

If you can understand that or have seen it happen, you know you are getting old.
    You know you're getting old when you forget what paper is.

If I see a coin on the ground, I have to decide whether its worth the effort to pick it up while risking another back injury, knee injury or dizzy spell. Generally a quarter is worth it, a penny, not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    If I see a coin on the ground, I have to decide whether its worth the effort to pick it up while risking another back injury, knee injury or dizzy spell. Generally a quarter is worth it, a penny, not.
    Many years ago there was a blurb in the paper about people who pick up pennies tend to be over 65. To the best of my memory this was back in the 1970s or '80s.

BTW, a technicality, the USA has never had a coin officially recognized as a penny. We have always had a One Cent coin. At one time we had a Half Cent coin. The British actually had a Farthing or a quarter penny. The smallest coin in their system was the Quarter Farthing (one sixteenth of a penny) for use in Ceylon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    "Young...": Or magically knowing everything without instruction, research, or experience. I've met a few teens with this super power.

Oops, I'd better check Google to see if that's common...
    No need to search. It's common. Too common.
    Many of these kids need an apartment or condo. They have no clue how to take care of a house.
    Fault of the parents that have everything done for them? It's a shame.
    They don't even know enough to clean the gutter because trees are growing in them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Even in my best days, I would never pick up a Quarter Farthing. There, that proves I am not cheap, just thrifty.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You know you're getting old when:
    * You remember waiting in long lines to buy gas (twice)
    * You remember a time when "foreign" cars were pretty uncommon
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You know you're getting old when:
    * You remember waiting in long lines to buy gas (twice)
    * You remember a time when "foreign" cars were pretty uncommon
    You might be old if you remember when gas was 25 cents.

Granted, the time I remember was during a local gas "war" in the early 70's and gasoline quickly went back up to about 40 cents where we lived.

JKJ

Granted, the time I remember was during a local gas "war" in the early 70's and gasoline quickly went back up to about 40 cents where we lived.

JKJ
    I remember those gas wars. In Flint, Mi. where I grew up one station would price it at 20.9, across the street it would be 19.9. The station at 19.9 would have lines, the 20.9 would be empty.

I remember .15 cent cheeseburgers and cigarettes .35 cents a pack.

You are getting old when a beef steak sounds better in the crockpot then on the grill. If you even want a beef steak at all that is.

And taking a shower becomes a chore rather then a pleasure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Even in my best days, I would never pick up a Quarter Farthing. There, that proves I am not cheap, just thrifty.
    Since noticing the low end price on a Quarter Farthing is currently ~$20 with shipping, that is something that wouldn't cause me concerns about a little back ache.

If my memory is working, there is a Half Farthing in my collection. It is a much less expensive coin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries

JKJ
    Back in the day my VW was filled up at a Chevron station at 24.9˘ a gallon. At the time there weren't many independent stations. Along the highway there were some gas stations with big signs advertising gas at 19.9˘ a gallon. Back then you could go in and tell the attendant you wanted a dollars worth and they would be happy to have your business.

When real young, some of the cigarette machines had a price of 23˘ listed with a note to use a quarter and there would be 2˘ inserted in the cellophane around the pack. This was back in the 1950s.

That is something to think about. It was actually a business decision to pay a person to sit all day putting two coins into a pack of smokes and the buyer expected it.

jtk

....when you mix up the Timbermate for grain filler, carefully brush it on, and forget to squeegee off the excess. Back to the 80 grit............
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries

Or that moment when you tell your wife "We are going to grow old together"....and she laughs at you.

Or how about when you can remember when pulling into a gas station and getting a dollars worth was a regular thing.

Or when you can remember the cost of your first NEW car, in my case a '65 GTO that cost $3300 and change out the door. VW bugs were $1800 at the time.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

McDonalds Menu archived.jpg

Somewhere in our family home videos there is a 8mm video (no audio) of my sister and I going into the first MacDonald's that opened in Newport News Virginia.
    I remember buying gas for 21 cents per gallon for my lawn mower when I was cutting lawns in my neighborhood. During gas wars it was common for gas prices to drop to 17 cents per gallon.
    I remember riding the city bus to go to the movie theater when I was young. The bus fare was 25 cents round trip, the movie was 25 cents, coke was a dime and popcorn was 15 cents. Total 75 cents to go to the movie on Saturday. I collected soda bottles in my neighborhood and returned them to the local grocery store, regular bottle returns were 2 cents per bottle and quart bottles were 5 cents each, it didn't take long on Saturday morning to acquire the 75 cents I needed to go to the movie

My first new car was a 1972 MG Midget, it was $2,700.00

Want To Feel Old.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-18-2020 at 11:13 PM.