Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when:

You know you're getting old when:

* You can write and read cursive.

* You like reading books more than screens.

* That cabbage, celery, carrot and potato soup you hated when you were a kid now tastes pretty good.

* You don't rely on Spell Checker to write a sentence.

* Prunes are a daily part of your diet.

Feel free to add on if you would like.

You hear one of the bands from your teen years on the radio twice in one day, and worry that one of the band members just died. Had that happen yesterday when I heard 'Drop Dead Legs' and 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love'.

I've always liked milk but now I buy half gallons instead of the cheaper gallon size. It's too heavy for my wife and I.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I find that I'm allergic to the "Happy Birthday Song." Every time it's sung to me something new either hurts, or doesn't work. What I really love is when grocery shopping, cashier puts only one two liter bottle per bag. He didn't want them to be too heavy for me to tote.

You know how to use a phone that doesn't have buttons.
    You know how to drive a stick shift.
    You can do basic math with a pencil and paper, or in your head.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Just the fact you can do MATH (to play off of Mr Tibbetts) Ever go to store and watch the younger generation trying to count change??

It takes a lot longer to get down to pick something up or you just wait till you drop something else to save a trip down there. ( or wait for grand kids to come over) I swear that I must have gotten taller or they keep lowering the floor.

To play off someone else thing about music, have no idea and I mean no idea who is playing what these days and what they are singing if you call it singing. Then there is that RAP stuff. I think if we ever go to war we can use that as a weapon and just have troops carry large speakers and blast that stuff. Enemy would surrender in a hurry.

One I bet many can relate to, bathroom trips. I wear out a pair of slippers alot faster these days from all the trips to the bathroom at night. Forgot what a good night sleep really is.

Not a day goes by any more that something new doesn't ache. It just becomes a way of life. Man the good days are few and far between.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    It takes a lot longer to get down to pick something up or you just wait till you drop something else to save a trip down there. ( or wait for grand kids to come over) I swear that I must have gotten taller or they keep lowering the floor. .......
    And you actually run thru a check list and make a plan to get back up.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

When you can't keep your pants up without suspenders. I complained that Levi had changed the pattern for 501s, Linda pointed out that I no longer had the "great" butt of my youth.

Growing old is not for sissies.
    “There are three sure signs of growing old. The first is loss of memory ……… I have forgotten the other two”.

-anon

The floor keeps getting farther and farther away!
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

And the floor has turned to glue. Ever try getting up.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

...when you have a really good " you know you're getting old when.." example and by the time you've clicked "reply to thread" you've forgotten what you were going to post.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Great replies, all so true. To add another: your wife's car sits too low and your truck sits too high to enter/exit comfortably.

your wife's car sits too low and your truck sits too high to enter/exit comfortably
    I suffer from that in spades.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Just the fact you can do MATH (to play off of Mr Tibbetts) Ever go to store and watch the younger generation trying to count change??
    When I worked at McDonalds in 1967 I worked the cash register. We had to add up the order totals in our heads and figure the tax rate. Even the register didn't add things up. There was a little tax table tacked on the wall but after a while it was memorized and not needed.

BTW, the building said McDonalds #10 whatever that meant (in Pittsburgh PA) and the sign outside said 2 million sold. We made the french fries were made from fresh potatoes.

JKJ