Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your router plane?

Andrew, tools that are used a lot, but not constantly, are in a cabinet (tools used constantly are on the wall behind my bench). This cabinet has glass doors, so I can see what is there. Less used tools are in cabinets with solid doors.

Bottom centre ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I have a habit of going to excess on shop cabinets and tool storage. I've made several french fitted boxes for wood chisels.
    I consider it practice, plus I'm using materials I've amassed over the years.
    The added benefit is I get to enjoy doing and looking at it also.
    Your router box is beautiful and an inspiration.

Right now, I keep my LV router plane in a drawer and the extra blades in a roll that LV sells just for those blades.

If I make a box, I have to find a place to store the box - storage space is always a problem for me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-02-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very nice Derek, thanks for the pictures.

OK, clearly I was mistaken, I have not see this before. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Right now, I keep my LV router plane in a drawer and the extra blades in a roll that LV sells just for those blades.

If I make a box, I have to find a place to store the box - storage space is always a problem for me.
    I think that I have a place for a box. I might have room in my "plane drawer". I was not aware of the cutter roll, or I would have ordered it when I ordered the plane (probably). If i have the roll, the box is a bit less important because then I might have room in my drawer with the rest of my hand planes.

Someday...this just MIGHT get built....
    wood.jpg
    When I get something better than a basement to set it up in....might be better than the current chest's
    2 drawer chest, top drawer, shop chest of drawers.JPG
    "Hunt, Peck, & Stow" Storage...one of 5 drawers...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-03-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Very similar to my search. I must have flubbed the spelling of sawmillcreek.org since cut and past from what you have is showing me lots of hits. Thanks Jim.
    If you used the search function on the Sawmill Creek page the Google search will be > router plane storage box site:www.sawmillcreek.org

Cut out the www. to leave > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < and the results are always much better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use the little plastic boxes supplied by Veritas to hold their router blades for shipping. The works are stored in a Cortec VCI bag.

Rust is a problem in my dank basement shop.

Send me one and I’ll think of something...........must have an empty biscotti tin lying around.......
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I ordered a shiny new Large Veritas router plane with a fence and a few blades.

Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane? I know that Steve has a detailed build for his. In my mind, Derek had something as well, I should go look for that.

I might as well have way to store all the bits in one container.

My search karma is poor today, I could only find this:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....a-router-plane
    Andrew -

Your search Karma may be bad.... but your posting Karma is good......!

Contact me at rlee@leevalley.com and I'll send you a pre-production version of our new router box in exchange for your private opinions.

Cheers -

Rob

(and no - not as nice as Tony or Derek's !)

I'm gonna start a thread with the title "How do you store your Dodecagauge with laser sights?"

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I'm gonna start a thread with the title "How do you store your Dodecagauge with laser sights?"
    You Jim, do not have good posting Karma (today).

Cheers -

Rob

The wood whisperer just posted a video on a nice holder. I like how he stores the extra blades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuM3g4hIn8

Blog Entries
    I store a lot of tools in clear plastic shoe boxes.

In my shop, that Wood Whisperer holder would have to be positioned above a nice soft landing spot for the fence and the irons. If there's one thing at which I excel in this hobby, it's the ability to knock things over, off, and all around the workshop.
    Chuck Taylor

in a box together with other small planes that are not used as often as the bench planes - kiwa kanna, a jap. scraper plane, some wooden block planes. The cutters are in a drawer reserved for router cutters, plough plane irons and similar small items that must not get lost.