Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your router plane?

How do you store your router plane?

I ordered a shiny new Large Veritas router plane with a fence and a few blades.

Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane? I know that Steve has a detailed build for his. In my mind, Derek had something as well, I should go look for that.

I might as well have way to store all the bits in one container.

My search karma is poor today, I could only find this:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....a-router-plane

Blog Entries
    On the shelf with some other planes, but I only have the one iron for it.

Blog Entries
    Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane?
    This really depends on your current or planned system of storage. My visit to Derek's site wasn't successful at finding his solution. My router plane sits on a piece of scrap wood with a U cut in it to keep the blade off of the shelf it rests upon.

Searching > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < found quite a few results. Searching > router plane storage box < on your favorite search engine will likely find a few more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Woodwhisperer just posted a video on a few organizational “holders” for some of his hand tools. A router plane and cutters was one of them. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/6OuM3g4hIn8

I use a router plane fairly frequently, but it’s stored in a small cardboard box with all the cutters, inlay attachment, and guide. I just don’t have the space to give it a permanent place on the wall.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 03-02-2020 at 4:36 PM.

Here's my solution.

RouterPlane1.jpgRouterPlane2.jpgRouterPlane3.jpg

I left room to add another Router plane later.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Recently completed this in-fill area for my tool cabinets (new hand planes). Router plane has its own IMG_0401-1800.jpgparking spot.

Mine hangs from pegboard. The extra cutters and other goodies are in a drawer in a tool box.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

And mine..
    Router Box Project Post, inside details.JPG
    Router Box Project Post, ready for work.JPG
    Router Box Project Post, top of lid.JPG
    Just adjust the size of the case to the plane. Add a block acoss the back, drill enough holes to hold the cutters.

Blog Entries
    In a wooden box I made for it with a cutout for the plane at the bottom. Raise the blade to not touch the bottom when stored. Keeps the dust off and everything is together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Here's my solution.

RouterPlane1.jpgRouterPlane2.jpgRouterPlane3.jpg

This is wonderful, wretched excess bestowed on the lowly but worthy router plane. I bow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This really depends on your current or planned system of storage. My visit to Derek's site wasn't successful at finding his solution. My router plane sits on a piece of scrap wood with a U cut in it to keep the blade off of the shelf it rests upon.

Searching > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < found quite a few results. Searching > router plane storage box < on your favorite search engine will likely find a few more.
    Very similar to my search. I must have flubbed the spelling of sawmillcreek.org since cut and past from what you have is showing me lots of hits. Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Here's my solution.

RouterPlane1.jpg

Holy Moly, now that is something to aspire to. Wow!

Are those "square" holes where you place your cutters? I need to look at that again.

<added text>
    OK, I looked again. They are square. How did you do that? Mortise machine? I do not own one, but smart given the cutters that you have.
    Last edited by Andrew Pitonyak; 03-02-2020 at 9:02 PM.

I read your original post numerous times, and it was not until this time around that I noticed that you have some wood to let the plane sit up a bit so that the cutter does not prematurely hit.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And mine..
    Router Box Project Post, inside details.JPG

Just adjust the size of the case to the plane. Add a block across the back, drill enough holes to hold the cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Holy Moly, now that is something to aspire to. Wow!

Are those "square" holes where you place your cutters? I need to look at that again.

<added text>
    OK, I looked again. They are square. How did you do that? Mortise machine? I do not own one, but smart given the cutters that you have.
    I'll look tomorrow, but as I recall I v-grooved a board and split it and glued it face to face to get the holes. No mortise involved.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    This is wonderful, wretched excess bestowed on the lowly but worthy router plane. I bow down.

I have a habit of going to excess on shop cabinets and tool storage. I've made several french fitted boxes for wood chisels.
    I consider it practice, plus I'm using materials I've amassed over the years.
    The added benefit is I get to enjoy doing and looking at it also.

Henry Ford