Thread: Always the experimenter

Always the experimenter

I get bored really easily and am always looking for new things to try. This week it is 'Lace Painting". The first two attempts were ok but I think the last one shines! Jo-Sonia iridescent paint on gloss black lacquer seems to work the best.
    I still have some playing to do but so far I like the result.

IMG_0350.jpegIMG_0338.jpgIMG_0388.jpeg IMG_0393 (1).jpeg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

VERY interesting. Are you using lace as a mask for airbrush?
    RD

Yes Richard the last one was painted with an airbrush the other two were sprayed with rattle can lacquer.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

nice Peter - that last one is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    nice Peter - that last one is gorgeous.
    Yes! I like the first one too.

Peter, were these done with by draping real lace made from thread? I told my wife about this and she likes the idea. Then she showed me some paper "lace" evidently used as masks to decorate baked goods.

JKJ

Check out Peters blog, all sorts of good ideas and explanations.

Thanks everyone. Yes John I am using real lace. I wound up with a selection from an auction and no one wanted it sooooo . . . .
    I better check out paper lace though. I have discovered that the best result is if the lace is laying tight on the object and yesterday I was experimenting with spray adhesive on the lace which allows it to be tacky but doesn't transfer the adhesive to the lacquered object. Apparently a lot of Hot Rod'ers used lace for fancy details on cars in the 60's! But I didn't discover this until after I had started. What do they say "everything old in new again!"
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yes John I am using real lace. I wound up with a selection from an auction and no one wanted it sooooo . . . .
    I better check out paper lace though. I have discovered that the best result is if the lace is laying tight on the object and yesterday I was experimenting with spray adhesive on the lace which allows it to be tacky but doesn't transfer the adhesive to the lacquered object. Apparently a lot of Hot Rod'ers used lace for fancy details on cars in the 60's! But I didn't discover this until after I had started. What do they say "everything old in new again!"
    I wondered if a thin coat of soft bees wax would stick the lace to the surface and could be removed without affecting the finish. My wife has been making bees wax cloth wraps for food and they are pretty stick and seem to leave no residue. I don't know the recipe.

JKJ

Thanks John, thinking about this I can't see how it would work as some of the holes in the lace are so fine they likely would be plugged with the process. I'm still playing and getting closer and closer to making it easier. I shall post my results and process soon so if others want to try this it may save them some experimental time.
    Pete

Yes, please keep us posted !
    RD