Thread: White Specks in Mahogany Veneer Problem

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontaio ... sister city to Sault Ste. Marie, MI

White Specks in Mahogany Veneer Problem

20200301_145017 - Copy.jpg20200301_144803 - Copy.jpgI am refinishing an antique mahoganyveneered radio. I stripped it and very lightly sanded it but did NOT stain it.Then I applied a coat of MinWax Polyurethane.

When I went to apply the second top coat I noticed white specks everywhere andsure did not notice them earlier in the process.

I tried a couple of colours of MinWax PolyShades (of which I am not a big fan)because it okay to apply that over polyurethane. The white flecks did NOTdisappear. The first picture shows the white specks problem.

Then I stained an area with Saman (a Canadian water based stain) and the specksdid disappear as you can see in the second picture.

I have been refinishing as a hobby long enough to not want to mix oil and waterproducts this way. I would appreciate feedback on what my risk is of proceeding.

Thank you.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Fera; 03-02-2020 at 1:30 PM.

I don't think those are white specks. They look more like the pores of the wood that didn't get any finish in them. If that's true then it seems like the MW Poly doesn't wet into the pores but the WB stain does. And if that's true then I see no risk of using the WB stain to color the pores and then going back to the MW Poly after that is thoroughly dry.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I don't think those are white specks. They look more like the pores of the wood that didn't get any finish in them. If that's true then it seems like the MW Poly doesn't wet into the pores but the WB stain does. And if that's true then I see no risk of using the WB stain to color the pores and then going back to the MW Poly after that is thoroughly dry.

John
    John, thanks for the creative thinking feedback. I learn something every day refinishing antiques and this is a novel view. It sounds very plausible and I will likely simply carry on.

Gary

Some of the finest mahogany can have silica in the pores ,and it will be white until the work is stained. I've seen the
    silica rolling around during hand planing. It does dull the plane some ...but not as much as you think it would ,considering
    its silica. You could take a scrap of the veneer and see if planing or scraping it separates the tiny "rocks".

Did you clean and neutralize the stripper well? Perhaps some residue left in the pores ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some of the finest mahogany can have silica in the pores ,and it will be white until the work is stained. I've seen the
    silica rolling around during hand planing. It does dull the plane some ...but not as much as you think it would ,considering
    its silica. You could take a scrap of the veneer and see if planing or scraping it separates the tiny "rocks".
    Mel, I was not aware of this issue with mahogany. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Did you clean and neutralize the stripper well? Perhaps some residue left in the pores ?
    Phil, I am sure that in fact I did clean it up properly. Worth asking the question though. Thanks.

Gary