Thread: Entry hall table for a niece: VIDEO

Entry hall table for a niece: VIDEO

Today I completed the second and third drawer fronts ...

Since I had only come across one article on making the lipped drawers - and that predominantly used power tools - and failed to find a single video on the topic, I decided to make one myself:

This is a real-time video - no editing. So skip the parts as they bore you. Hopefully some of it will amuse. Or watch at bedtime if you are insomniac

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed the video Derek. Thanks!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for sharing your work and process. Much appreciated.

Nice video Derek. Frank Klausz has a video on UT “Dovetails the European Way”. A combination of hand and power router work that is good. It’s on lipped drawers.

Derek, Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I enjoyed watching it.

Do you happen to have any more information on your kerf chisel? Specifically, what type of trowel did you use?

6. Thank you. This is incredible. Incredible instruction and workmanship.

Andrew, this photo is in the article on my website ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...erfChisel.html

From distant memory, it was about 12" long overall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well done Derek! Excellent video, I am unaware of any resource for the lipped dovetail drawer by hand. I am tempted to use the kerfing chisel/scraper technique. I was a bit tense when you were finishing the sockets with some forceful pushing of the chisel towards the lip at the end. I have had some splitting of the wood beyond the socket so I usually try to have something behind the far end for support. Perhaps it is because your jarrah is harder or more interlocked than the cherry I use.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Nice video Derek. Frank Klausz has a video on UT “Dovetails the European Way”. A combination of hand and power router work that is good. It’s on lipped drawers.
    Thanks James. I had not looked carefully at that video. I love Frank's care-free manner.

This video is different from mine in that he goes pins-first, and I do tails-first. Also, he used power tools, with the exception of sawing. As I recall, he also used a scraper blade ala Tage Frid to deepen the kerfs. So, now we have two videos

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Well done Derek! Excellent video, I am unaware of any resource for the lipped dovetail drawer by hand. I am tempted to use the kerfing chisel/scraper technique. I was a bit tense when you were finishing the sockets with some forceful pushing of the chisel towards the lip at the end. I have had some splitting of the wood beyond the socket so I usually try to have something behind the far end for support. Perhaps it is because your jarrah is harder or more interlocked than the cherry I use.
    Mark, the cuts were made quite low down on the board. If they were near the top edge, I would certainly have had a backer board. The chisels were very sharp, and cut well. It looks harder as the Jarrah is tough.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, Derek. Enjoyed it. Precision with no dawdling. I confess I watched it the Northern Hemisphere orientation !

Just had a chance to view the video and want to also offer my thanks to Derek for the effort in making the video. Nice when they bang (well, light tapping anyway) together isn't it? I had the feeling that the video production was as much or more work for Derek than the dovetailing was. The man has made a few before, correct? Question - where was the DC approved version of the Vesper dovetail marker? A plain old Stanley? No style points there Derek. I especially liked how the drawer slid perfectly snug and square into the recess. That was the real craftsmanship to my eye.
    David

David, I wondered who would notice!

This was a time when the Stanley was easier to use as the tip of the knife is longer and able to reach into the corner more easily when I was standing in a reversed position. I like the Stanley knife. I like the Cohen knife, especially the narrow kerf version, and it is the only one to use for skinnier dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek