Thread: Posts missing

Posts missing

Hi
    Posts are missing from the end of my thread, https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....age2&p=2992753 .

I had a post with some exterior shots from 2/17 that is now gone. It was titled Paint Colors. It was successfully uploaded because I remember Jim Becker commenting on the loading dock. I noticed a new post on the thread from Eugene Dixon listed in the Workshops forum this morning, but it does not show up in the thread. I can see his missing post and mine by going to our respective profiles and viewing Recent Posts.

Very strange.

Can this be fixed? Or, should I start a new thread?

TW

Blog Entries

Missing posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Hi
    Posts are missing from the end of my thread, https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....age2&p=2992753 .

I had a post with some exterior shots from 2/17 that is now gone. It was titled Paint Colors. It was successfully uploaded because I remember Jim Becker commenting on the loading dock. I noticed a new post on the thread from Eugene Dixon listed in the Workshops forum this morning, but it does not show up in the thread. I can see his missing post and mine by going to our respective profiles and viewing Recent Posts.

Very strange.

Can this be fixed? Or, should I start a new thread?

TW
    I just looked at your recent post, specifically the ones from 2-16-20 and 2-17-20, the photos are there are you sure you are logged in? If you are not logged in you cannot see photos.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-02-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I just looked at your recent post, specifically the ones from 2-16-20 and 2-17-20, the photos are there are you sure you are logged in? If you are not logged in you cannot see photos.
    I am logged in. The entire post is missing not just the pictures. I think you are seeing posts from earlier on 2/17. There were several posts on this thread that day. If you do not see a post with a picture of the garage end of the house and a picture of the loading dock on the front then you are also missing the last few posts.

Thanks for checking. I think you have confirmed the problem is not just me. Let me know if my guess about which posts you can see is wrong. I just looked again at the thread and do not see the missing posts.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 03-02-2020 at 11:14 AM.

You are seeing posts from earlier on 2/17 I think. There were several posts that day, If you do not see a post with a picture of the garage end of the house and a picture of the loading dock on the front then you are also missing the last few posts.

Thanks for checking. I think you have confirmed the problem is not just me. Let me know if my guess about which posts you can see is wrong. I just looked at the thread and do not see them.
    I see posts up to and including #34 posted by Eugene Dixon.

Maybe your browser is using a cached version of the page. Try refreshing it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

That is strange. I did delete cache and restarted my iPad before posting this question. The posts are missing still for me. I will try the MacBook.

Figured it out. My Display of the thread was in Threaded mode not Linear mode. The post I was looking for was buried below the visible depth and not on the last page where I was looking. I really don’t know how Threaded mode works. Anyway, I am back in Linear mode and all is well.

Thanks for the help.

That is strange. I did delete cache and restarted my iPad before posting this question. The posts are missing still for me. I will try the MacBook.
    What are your display settings? Go to settings, general. If you are using the Hybrid mode, it can sometimes hide messages if there are two many messages on one branch of the thread tree. If you switch to Liniear mode maybe all your messages will be visible. (But you can't see the threaded organization.) I temporarily switched modes and saw several photos from you on that date, photos I couldn't see in the hybrid mode unless I clicked on "More replies below current depth..." in the thread tree. I haven't experimented with all of the modes.

This is one reason I think a long thread might sometimes best be started anew if there is a subject change.

I have also seen a problem where there appeared to be no way to see certain messages when the thread got over a certain length, but I haven't been able to pin down the precise parameters - sometimes it didn't work with a thread but did with another similar thread.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What are your display settings? Go to settings, general. If you are using the Hybrid mode, it can sometimes hide messages if there are two many messages on one branch of the thread tree. If you switch to Liniear mode maybe all your messages will be visible. (But you can't see the threaded organization.) I temporarily switched modes and saw several photos from you on that date, photos I couldn't see in the hybrid mode unless I clicked on "More replies below current depth..." in the thread tree. I haven't experimented with all of the modes.

This is one reason I think a long thread might sometimes best be started anew if there is a subject change.

I have also seen a problem where there appeared to be no way to see certain messages when the thread got over a certain length, but I haven't been able to pin down the precise parameters - sometimes it didn't work with a thread but did with another similar thread.

JKJ
    Hi John,
    I found the display modes and changed back to Linear. That is the mode I am accustomed to. All posts are chronological in Linear. Replies to post are not with the post, but I can deal with that. The only mystery remaining is how I got into Threaded mode. It was not intentional.

Come see us. It is looking great. Tools are gradually migrating from storage to shop.

TW

Blog Entries
    These are the photos on the Paint Color post that I can see.LoadingDock1.jpgColorScheme.jpgLoadingDock2.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. I did figure it out. See above. I was unintentionally in Threaded mode and did not understand how that mode works. Thanks for looking into it for me,

Hi John,
    I found the display modes and changed back to Linear. That is the mode I am accustomed to. All posts are chronological in Linear. Replies to post are not with the post, but I can deal with that. The only mystery remaining is how I got into Threaded mode. It was not intentional.

Come see us. It is looking great. Tools are gradually migrating from storage to shop.

TW
    I was planning to come my first free time, scheduled for June. But with the current world health situation we may postpone our trip to Italy. So I might be able to come in May!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I was planning to come my first free time, scheduled for June. But with the current world health situation we may postpone our trip to Italy. So I might be able to come in May!

JKJ
    We’ll pencil you in.