Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the worst injury you've had woodworking?

Quote Originally Posted by John Makar View Post
    Between Woodpeck and Lie-Nielsen I've gouged a pretty deep hole in my bank balance a couple of times.
    I've injured my pride a time or two. The extent of the injury seems related to the number of people in the audience.

JKJ

When I was a boy, I run around unsupervised in my father's workshop. I had the great idea of pushing a small strip of wood through the jointer, it kicked it back and sliced the tip of my middle finger. I think that's the worst besides a few cuts and lost nails due to smashed fingers.

OW.jpg
    When a chisel hops out of a piece of wood, and you don't even feel it....wrong way to test for sharpness?
    No. 7.JPG
    When you have just sharpened a rip saw...and test it out..
    crime scene.JPG
    And it cuts faster than your hand can move...
    OW!.JPG
    Original Saw Stop..and yes, it did leave a mark...and a scar...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    When I was a boy, I run around unsupervised in my father's workshop. I had the great idea of pushing a small strip of wood through the jointer, it kicked it back and sliced the tip of my middle finger. I think that's the worst besides a few cuts and lost nails due to smashed fingers.
    In 4th grade I sat next to a boy who decided it would be fun to play with his dad's table saw in the basement. He was missing three fingers on one hand and two on the other. That made a lasting impression on me.

JKJ

Watch this video .......... makes me shudder to think how that felt.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.botha.3...yNzcyODUwNDA3/

Watch this video - makes me shudder to think about how that felt.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.botha.3...yNzcyODUwNDA3/

Coping baseboard. Coping saw hopped out of the cut and onto index finger. Right to the bone. Scraping mud off of a fir 2x12 with a putty knife. Lifted a big splinter. Entered the tip of middle finger on the inside came out at the middle knuckle. Both painful and long lasting when trying to work.

Have to admire your courage to still be doing wood working James!

My feelings got hurt badly based upon a comment on my work years ago. It cut me deeply and has stayed with me. Oh, and I was guilty as charged. On the kinetic side, I put a very hefty piece of Purplehart about through my finger. That was an adventure.

I am both surprised and thankful at how few and mild have been my injuries.
    Kick back from table saw sliced the web of my hand.
    Wasn't watching the location of a clamp I was using on a saw sled. The carbide teeth from the blade embedded themselves in my thick jacket. Not an injury so probably doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden Pettengill View Post
    Just curious about everyone else mishaps! Luckly for me I haven't had any bad ones!
    Sliced my left hand just behind the palm with a chisel I'd left sitting on a sawhorse, didn't even notice until I noticed blotches of 'fresh red paint' here and there. Lesson: Don't be bloody careless.

The worst was a table saw kickback. What made it odd was it was part of the blade guard that came apart, hitting the blade and then me. I thought it was supposed to protect me, not attack. When it hit my neck my first thought was- So this is how it ends.

I cut my hand with a utility knife while trimming ceiling tiles. 4 stitches.

-Tom

I was using a disk sander ... about 20 years ago ...

The table was a little too far from the disk. The fore finger on my left hand was dragged between the table and the disk, nail-side against the disk! The sander proceeded to sand away the top of my finger taking most of the nail and skin down to the knuckle.

Anyone still reading this ?

It took about a year before the nail grew back, and there are still faint scars to remind me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The only way this was wood related, the forms used for the dock leveler pits we were doing were wood. Was in a hurry ( first mistake) and needed the cords ran for the generator to power the Concrete Vibrator....went through a batch of #4 rebar uprights....pants leg caught on one upright (and ripped the jeans..) causing me to fall......right towards a line of un-capped uprights.....rather than be stabbed in the liver by one of them...I put out my right hand........

Went to stand back up...hand was still attached to the #4 rebar. Got the hand detached from the bar....left a piece of hide behind on the end of the bar. Back from the Marion, OH ER....they added 3 stitches...bar had just gone along under the skin...for about 1-1/2" ( they measured it on the rebar..)....I did notice that they had also (very quickly) capped every upright in sight. One cap had a big, black "X" on it....to show where "MY" rebar was....

Hand swelled up the rest of the week, pulled the stitches loose.....Er removed the last one....drained the hand, and better antibiotics, and painkillers.

NEVER EVER get in so much of a rush, you loose sight of how things can ( and will) go wrong. IF my hand hadn't stopped that fall..would have been 3 rebars.....