Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad cut on finger. What to do?

Chris Schwarz recently recommended a powder - can’t recall the name- for stopping bleeding. Searching his blog might yield the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Chris Schwarz recently recommended a powder - can’t recall the name- for stopping bleeding. Searching his blog might yield the answer.
    There is a Blood Stop powder for animal use we keep on hand at the barn. Handy on rare occasions. I have no idea if it useful for humans.
    But if I got a cut with bleeding that couldn't be stopped by squeezing the skin together I think I'd hie to the medical professional!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There is a Blood Stop powder for animal use we keep on hand at the barn. Handy on rare occasions. I have no idea if it useful for humans.
    But if I got a cut with bleeding that couldn't be stopped by squeezing the skin together I think I'd hie to the medical professional!
    Styptic powder, same thing (alum) that's in styptic pencils for shaving cuts. I'm not recommending using it in lieu of getting medical assistance, but that's what it is
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If it was a clean cut, and is sealed shut, a tight band aid to hold it closed is about all I ever do. That said, I seem to have a very robust immune system; nothing seems to become infected; never had the flu, a cold maybe every 5 years.

I've had some deep cuts without stitching. Super glue works fine in most cases. Took the end off a finger, folded it back and taped it tightly, mostly so I would not have to hear "I told you so" -- it healed fine.

The nastiest looking I ever had came wile installing a storm door. Was drilling a hole for the screws and the bit slipped and went through my thumb beside the nail. looked at and there was meat (mine) in the flutes of the bit. Thought the traditional "Oh, s***, this is gonna hurt." The problem was that I was alone and pinned to the door. It never hurt at all. It still gives me the willies.

I buy super glue in the .1 oz. tubes so I always have some that is not solidified.

Quote Originally Posted by carey mitchell View Post
    I buy super glue in the .1 oz. tubes so I always have some that is not solidified.
    I told about drilling through my finger in another thread!

As for super glue setting up, this may be useful to some:

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

Since moisture in an opened bottle can cause it to set up AND since moisture can actually go through the plastic bottles, I keep CA glue in a sealed container with indicator desiccant beads inside. These turn from blue to pink when they've taken on a lot of moisture so you know when to change it. (Needs changing only rarely depending on how often you open the container and the humidity outside.) The beads can be dried out in an oven and reused indefinitely. I haven't had one set up yet.

JKJ