Thread: New Workshop Planning Stage

New Workshop Planning Stage

I'm in the planning stages of a new shop build. I'm leaning towards a pole barn. What is the height on your shop or a good height to have for a shop - ceiling height, wall height and overall height. I'm leaning towards 16 foot wall height that way I could add a mezzanine later on.

Or if you had to do it again, what would you do?

Thanks,
    Bud

Workshop design is often a function of budget constraint. It would be helpful if more detail on proposed square footage and general requirements. I wouldn't necessarily choose a ceiling height of 16 feet merely because I might sometime in the future want to build a mezzanine. Budget for insulation and HVAC play into that ceiling height decision as well.

For me a 10' ceiling is sufficient for my needs. The only thing I would do different if I built another shop would be to add square footage. I would want to go out not up. Why would a mezzanine be advantageous to you for what you are planning? Would that be an office? Do you plan to schlep tools and parts up to a mezzanine?

I did 10' wall with a one foot foundation, total of 11'. That is plenty of room for me. But if you have the room and money, then go for higher to add a mezzanine in the future. Add in extra materials and higher heating/cooling bills.
    Good luck

I'm limited by property size, so up is better and less costly. Looking at a 40 x 60 with only a partial mezzanine (15" x 30' ish) for a couple of small lathes (don't do much turning), a CNC router, laser, 3d printer, small storage and stuff that is not used much (gardening supplies, etc.). The mezzanine can be added on at a later date. I need at least 12' for a vehicle lift. Heating will be radiant floor (currently only keeping the shop about 55' F) and A/C by mini-splits and large ceiling fans. I live in Upstate New York and we don't spend a lot of time on cooling.

! 40x60 ! With that much space, you’ve got lots of options. It is fun to make the dreams come true. What machinery do you use the most?

My current rented space has a ceiling of about 13 or 14 feet. It is great for vertical storage of boards and for an open feeling to the shop. Beyond that, most of the space is wasted. I do have shelves up high for storage of seldom used items and things I don't want disturbed, such as veneer sheets. Access requires a ladder, though, and those areas are big collectors of airborne dust. It sounds like you have the funds to go taller, have maxed out your square footage, and have a plan for a using the added height. Under those circumstances, why not go for it?

12' first floor ceiling height.
    40'x60' mezzanine designed for tool load. 9' ceiling height. Stairs and space of a lift.

40x60 with 12' sidewalls is my recent build. I went with scissor trusses so I could do a mezzanine but just for storage. So far I have no regrets. We didnt want a super tall building so that was the reason for 12', I'd love to have 16' as that would open up a whole new level, just wasnt in the cards for me.

Also went with radiant floor heat, that is the best heat I have ever had.
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 03-03-2020 at 6:27 PM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.