Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How or Can this be done without a lathe?

You could use a router to make it. Search for "turning rolling pins using a router."

Only the front 2/3 of the boiler will be round. How will you transition to the firebox and water leg portion? max PSI?
    Bil lD

If it's over 14 psi, you'll need to have a licensed operating engineer. Prolly should also stay away from softwoods. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Clarification needed... is this a steam powered model or a wood, non-working model? Huge difference in construction of a boiler. Also ask your insurance agent.
    Bill D.
    All of his prior projects (posted in the Woodworking Projects area) are wooden (non-powered) vehicle models...I would assume this will be similar.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I needed to make quarter rounds with a 4" diameter (2" radius) for a vanity that I am in the middle of. I used basically a rotisserie on the bandsaw. You just need to have something high enough and with a center point that is equal to your radius on the blade. Then a Lee valley bow sander to get them nice and smooth. My situation called for some longer stuff (~12" and 30" long) , so I did it horizontally; but I think yours could be done vertically just as easily since there will be less work holding concerns. The sanding to smooth actually goes really quickly if you have enough segments as part of your circle.

Blog Entries

So here's my ( typical Sawmill Creek ) solution

As I said I need a 3" dowel thicker than is normally available. Many excellent solutions were proposed by members here, here is my solution:IMG_20200302_105226_hdr.jpg
    Yes I know it's Harbor Freight, please don't yell at me.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    As I said I need a 3" dowel thicker than is normally available. Many excellent solutions were proposed by members here, here is my solution:IMG_20200302_105226_hdr.jpg
    Oh No! You now you've done it, invoked the danger of sliding into the vortex of woodturning.

I can't believe that nobody said buy a lathe. A perfectly good reason to buy a new tool? Sorry to say but I agree with John. That HF is officially known as the "more" lathe. Once you get one you will want to turn more. As you do you will want a bigger better lathe. It doesn't end well (as far as your wallet is concerned).

Can you just use 2 hole saws? 3" long may be more than most holesaws offered but you could flip the workpiece

Nobody said buy a lathe because the question was "how to do this without a lathe?" So I'm afraid Dennis your solution is rejected and your not allowed to buy that lathe until you find a better excuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Nobody said buy a lathe because the question was "how to do this without a lathe?" So I'm afraid Dennis your solution is rejected and your not allowed to buy that lathe until you find a better excuse.
    How about the fact that the Dow went up 1293 points today😊 and I need to spend it fast before it goes down again😯
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Honestly, I think you made a good decision there in support of your model making. This tool will come in handy for many things in addition to the matter at hand. You'll have to start hanging out in the Turning forum area now, too..."you have been assimilated".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the way your mind works Dennis! I need to rotate the tires on my truck, so I am ordering a hoist!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I like the way your mind works Dennis! I need to rotate the tires on my truck, so I am ordering a hoist!
    Larry - You just made me almost spit my drink all over my laptop when I read this. I have a Jeep and do a 5 tire rotation. I use my hard top hoist mounted on the ceiling of my garage to help with the 107 pound tire/wheel on the rear carrier!

Work smarter not harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Larry - You just made me almost spit my drink all over my laptop when I read this. I have a Jeep and do a 5 tire rotation. I use my hard top hoist mounted on the ceiling of my garage to help with the 107 pound tire/wheel on the rear carrier!
    I like the way you all think!

I needed a way to lift logs off the ground to make it easier on my back when chainsawing woodturning blanks:

trackhoe_20190916_190256.jpg

Justin, I don't know what they weigh but wrangling a tire on my skid steer or the front of the tractor always kills me. On the rare occasion one goes flat and pops the bead it's in the mud where it was hard to see it was getting low on air. Even rotating the tires on my diesel truck wears this old guy out. Hmm, whatever could I use for lifting?...

JKJ