Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How or Can this be done without a lathe?

Blog Entries

How or Can this be done without a lathe?

I make models and I am now making a steam powered old time fire engine . I need to make a boiler that is round with a 2 1/4" diameter about 3" long. I don't have a lathe. Is there any way to make this without a lathe?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Maybe someone could turn 1 for you. A small job, if closer I would give you a piece. Surely some closer will help you out.

Dennis

There is a wood-working show this weekend in secaucus nj. There are usually some turning clubs setup there with lathes making small projects on mini-lathes. You might be able to get one of them to turn a block of wood for you to the size you want.

Just a thought...

Justin

Is it going to be painted? If so, you could make several discs using a hole saw, glue them together, fill any gaps, sand and paint. You can also buy 2 1/4" dowell and just cut to length.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 02-29-2020 at 4:11 PM.

You can get quite close without a lathe. Use a table saw, a hand plane, and a little sandpaper. Use the the saw to make a blank which is octagonal in cross section. Make it a foot long or so. Use the hand plane to change the octagon to a circle. It is really pretty easy - might take you ten minutes. Use the sandpaper to remove the faceting left by the plane.

If you have a drill press, you could drill through the center of the blank, insert a bolt through it, tighten a nut on in, then chuck the excess bolt in the drill press. Use files/rasps/sandpaper to "turn" down to the diameter you want.

I would start out with an octagonal blank, rather than rectangular (cross-section).

Andy - Arlington TX

* You could probably whittle a block pretty close to round and then use a rasp and sandpaper to do the final shaping. I think I'd practice on scrap first, just to get the hang of it. (A hand plane or draw knife would work for initial shaping too - I've done it with a hand plane.)

* You can buy 2 1/4" dowel online LINK

* You could probably have one made at a cabinet shop or lumber yard that does millwork
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-29-2020 at 4:24 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    If you have a drill press, you could drill through the center of the blank, insert a bolt through it, tighten a nut on in, then chuck the excess bolt in the drill press. Use files/rasps/sandpaper to "turn" down to the diameter you want.

I would start out with an octagonal blank, rather than rectangular (cross-section).

Andy - Arlington TX
    I've done this. Make the blank as round as possible before turning.
    Please help support the Creek.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I make models and I am now making a steam powered old time fire engine . I need to make a boiler that is round with a 2 1/4" diameter about 3" long. I don't have a lathe. Is there any way to make this without a lathe?
    Thanks
    You might have a lathe and not know it.

I met a man in Venice, Italy who made many clever very things in a tiny shop. He showed me his "lathe". It was a Dewalt electric drill fastened to the workbench with a clamp. He made turning tools by sharpening screwdrivers and such.

In this picture he is fetching something from the display window on the street.

Venice_craftsman_IMG_3513.jpg

JKJ

Use this on all 4 edges of 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" stock. https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/collections/roundover/products/201

I made most round pieces this way even when I had a lathe. With a good set-up in a router table it's fast and you can do long lengths.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I need to make a boiler that is round with a 2 1/4" diameter about 3" long.
    Would a standard tomato paste can work? Dimensions are pretty close: 2-3/16" diameter x 3-3/8" long

Do you have a bandsaw?

If so, what I would do is make a jig from a scrap piece of mdf or whatever. Double stick tape it to the bandsaw table, after drilling a hole for a #17 brad nail 1 1/8 from the edge. This is the radius of your circle. using the nail as your pivot point, cut enough 2 1/4 discs to make up your 3" length. Glue them together and you have your part.
    Instead of a nail as your pivot point, you could use a 1/4" dowel. This will require 1/4 pilot holes in your blanks, which you can then glue together with 1/4" dowels to register them perfectly and keep them in place.

Alternatively, here is a place that sells 2 1/4" dowel stock, 36" length in Ash for under $20 though I don't know what they charge for shipping: https://www.caseyswood.com/shoppingc...oducts_id=2677
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-29-2020 at 7:04 PM.

Lots of ways to do it...one is to rough work a billet at the table saw into a hexagon and then us hand tools to round it off just like guitar builders do necks.

You can also find someone to turn the cylinder for you...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Table saw lathe jig. Others like this are on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5n7SpzGLE

Clarification needed... is this a steam powered model or a wood, non-working model? Huge difference in construction of a boiler. Also ask your insurance agent.
    Bill D.