Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How or Can this be done without a lathe?

Blog Entries
    So here's my first work in process lathe project. It's a 7" by 2 1 \4" dowel, soon to be made ( hopefully) into a boiler for a model steam fire engine. So far it only cost about $ 50 per inch 😊IMG_20200303_191838_hdr.jpg
    Added a clearer picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dennis thompson; 03-03-2020 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Add clearer picture
    Dennis

Oh, look...it's actually doing a dance in anticipation of all the boiling it's going to do. LOL (blurry image) Seriously, nice job. Like I said previously, that will be a very handy tool for what you do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. I made lots of similar wooden parts before I had a lathe.

If having a hole through the center os okay turning it on the drill press becomes easier. A bolt through the center makes it easy to chuck in the drill press. Making it square then octagonal then 16 sided using a plane makes the turning easier. In fact it isn't too hard to keep going with the plane until you switch to sandpaper and not turning it at all. It requires a little patience, but isn't all that hard if you take small careful steps. A template of a half circle the desired diameter is helpful as you get close to the final size and shape.

As others have mentioned there are many other options as well.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 03-03-2020 at 5:41 PM.