Thread: Homemade spray booth

Homemade spray booth

Anyone have pics of a homemade spray booth? anyone ever just hang tarps from the ceiling ?going to try my first spray job trying to get ideas the piece is not done yet.appreciate what others have done.i did a search but a lot of the photos were long gone.thanks jim

Generally I like DIY, but this is HARD to turn down.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sprayt.../dp/B0776LV8RH

If that's not big enough, then I can hang some tarps from the rafters using spring clamps.

I use plastic sheeting hung over nails in the floor joists and a drop cloth or paper on the floor to make a temporary spray booth in my basement shop. It's about 8 x 8 ft because I often spray large projects.

I only spray shellac and WB products. Key to a good spray job is air flow over the work to take away overspray. I use my DC fan to do this. It's only about 1200 cfm but it works. Overspray doesn't settle on my freshly sprayed surface and there is no odor or overspray in the shop after I'm done. It's ducted into the back of the booth and the air blows out a nearby window. I have another window open across the shop for make up air. I live where it gets pretty cold in the Winter but have had no trouble with cold make up air (25 ft away) hurting the finish quality. I do have heat in my shop and keep at at least 65F in the Winter.

IMG_5498.JPG

When I'm done I fold up the plastic, throw away the paper, and my shop is back to normal. I'll also note that good lighting is key to seeing what you are doing. I really don't think you can have too much light. I sometimes add lights on temporary stands to better see.

John

Andrew I saw that one need bigger thanks.john did you adapt the dust collector to just blow out the window ?

Quote Originally Posted by jim sauterer View Post
    Andrew I saw that one need bigger thanks.john did you adapt the dust collector to just blow out the window ?
    Yes, I used to do it just when I used it to evacuate the spray booth by bypassing the filter bags, but then I needed to increase the cfm as much as possible to capture dust from my new bandsaw, so I got rid of the filter bags and now it's permanently ducted out the window.

The cyclone gets all but the finest dust during milling operations and the overspray during spraying. It's minimal in both cases. There is no build up in the hose, duct work, cyclone, or fan. The over spray is dry by the time it gets to the inlet hose at the back of the spray booth. I've been using this setup for at least 5 years and see no downsides. Let me say this again though; I only spray shellac and WB products.

John

Picked Up some cheap tarps from Harbor freight gonna try your way john I’ll just be spraying water based Also have to work on the exhaust thanks again

I hope it works out for you Jim.

I chose plastic sheeting because it lets some ambient light thru, rolls up to store in a small space, is customizeable to any size, and is cheap to replace when it gets snotted up.

John

Thanks john I have finished ceiling in garage.going to put hooks in and hang tarp on them through eyelets.