Thread: JessEm Clear-Cut TS Stock Guides for Hammer K3

JessEm Clear-Cut TS Stock Guides for Hammer K3

I have a Hammer K3 Winner with a 49" slider. This is a shorter slider and, as a result, the rip fence is used as much, if not more, than the slider (with F and F jig) for ripping.

One of the issues I have experienced when ripping with the fence is a tendency for the work piece to lift. Using a push stick is not a satisfactory solution, and I have been using a feather board with some reasonable success.

Enter the JessEm Clear-Cut TS Stock Guides. These are a set of rollers with hold down the work piece and also act as an anti-kick back. But what also interested me was the rollers are angled, and this forces the work piece against the fence for a cleaner rip cut. Woodcraft had the JessEm on special, and I took advantage of this.

The one issue with these Guides is that they are designed for the standard table saw rip fence, and the Hammer (and Felder) rip fence is far from standard.

Here is the rear of the K3 rip fence ..

.. and the end ...

I had decided beforehand that what was needed was a longer version of the base made for the feather board. Here it is (not as easy to photograph as it is black). Built from maple, and sprayed ...

It is locked to the rip fence with two sliding T-bolts. This allows the Guide base to be removed from the fence, such as when the fence is removed.

The top plate for the JessEm is heavy duty steel, and there is no deflection when the centre is bolted to the base. Here is the view from the rear ...

... and the front ...

I am impressed with the tenacity of the grip against the fence, and its absolute refusal to release in any other direction than forwards.

In fact, it holds pretty damn well with just one arm ...

Here is one of the angled wheels ...

When not in use or when unneeded, the arms can be lifted and locked out of the way.

I have not had much chance to use the Guides yet, and will come back to the forum at a later date.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I did pretty much the same thing to mount the Jessems to my Delta Unifence. Works well, but I need to clamp the end of the fence down, or it will lift. No biggie.

I also have the Peachtree square rail for the Unifence, and made another adapter for using the Jessem on that.

My recently acquired Mini Max CU300 combo also has the same type fence, and I will probably adapt it also. I like your sliding block, and may steal the idea. My thought for holding the end of that fence down is an additional block with a switchable magnet attached.

Do you have to clamp the end of your fence down?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-29-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Oh wow! Well done Sir! I think thats a great solution!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Do you have to clamp the end of your fence down?
    Hi Rick

No clamping needed. This fence is solid and stable. It moves smoothly but, once locked down, no part of it shifts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a very good adaption of that saw accessory, Derek! Back when I had my cabinet saw, I had the infamous "board buddies" which was very similar to the product you acquired. Very effective for keeping the material down and designed to limit kickback, too.

Yea...a little adaption required for a high-low type fence, but worth the effort. I'd never give up the high-low fence, either!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good.

What angle are the teeth on your rip blade?

I’m curious because I don’t experience that with mine.

I think my rip blade has a 20 degree angle....Regards, Rod

Rod, I do not know the angle of the rip blade - never measured them. I'll check when I get a chance. The blades I have (rip, crosscut and combo) are quality blades (Leuco), so I doubt that this is due to them.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the same guides on my standard cabinet saw and it is a great accessory for ripping.
    I may have to steal your idea for use on my sliding table saw as it has the same high/low fence as your Hammer.

Derek, that is awesome. Bookmarked and thanks for sharing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Took me over a year, but I ripped off Derek's idea. I even used maple. 5/16" carriage bolts fit the fence rail perfectly.

I'd previously made some aluminum adapters for the router table guides, but they don't seem to hold as well and were more picky on adjustment.

The only thing I want to do is drill it from the top and glue some dowels in for reinforcement. It's near perfect 1/4 sawn, and only 3/4" wide, so I'm slightly paranoid a kick back might snap it off.

20210418_142205.jpg

Looks good, Wes. I doubt that you will need more reinforcements.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-20-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Derek, this is awesome. Thanks again for sharing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, this time it was Wes who shared, not I.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Erik, this time it was Wes who shared, not I.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks, Derek, and THANKS, Wes! Interwebz > me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep