Thread: If You Are A Carver

If You Are A Carver

There is a nice set of Marples carving tools on both the UK and USA eBay sites. Shame I'm not a carver.

ken

Ken I'm surprised you didn't get them to hang out with all the other chisels in your collection.

Thanks!! I bought a set of the small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Ken I'm surprised you didn't get them to hang out with all the other chisels in your collection.
    Ralph,

I know it is a shame there is no room in my chisel rack and I'm not a carver. Something like that doesn't come along often. BTW, it was the back side of the clock when I ran across the listing and it was all I could do to keep the AmEx in my pocket.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Thanks!! I bought a set of the small ones.
    I didn't figure the cost per chisel but I expect in reality the big set is a bargain. I know I've spent more for less.

Glad I could help you finding some usable tools, I only look at eBay when I have nothing else to do and seldom do I find anything, but sometimes it works.

ken

I missed that large set, my first time looking. 13 tools for 500. It's on the second page now. I would be tempted, but I already have at least half of those, found individually over time.

I used to watch eBay all the time, when I was buying molding planes, and other things I ran into, but when shipping went up so much from the UK, I stopped bothering. I quit bothering to look at molding planes from the US. I wasn't interesting in working on them, and they were taken much better care of, over there, than the typical ones left in barns here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I missed that large set, my first time looking. 13 tools for 500. It's on the second page now. I would be tempted, but I already have at least half of those, found individually over time.

I used to watch eBay all the time, when I was buying molding planes, and other things I ran into, but when shipping went up so much from the UK, I stopped bothering. I quit bothering to look at molding planes from the US. I wasn't interesting in working on them, and they were taken much better care of, over there, than the typical ones left in barns here.
    It has been my good fortune to buy a lot of molding planes from a dealer who used to make trips to England to purchase tools to sell over here.

Many of my hollows & rounds came from him. There may be a few voids in my double harlequin set. (FYI, a harlequin set is when pairs of H&Rs are matched pairs from the same maker but the set is made up of pairs from different makers. A double harlequin set is when the two planes in a pair are from different makers. Two or three of my pairs are matched by maker. One pair has both planes by the same maker but separated by years of manufacture.

Funny thing about a side bead plane of his purchased yesterday for $8. It had a blade but no wedge. He also had a small ogee plane for $12 that had a wedge but no blade. Finding a decent blade to modify is going to cost a lot more money and work than making a wedge.

Back to the original topic of this thread, did the set sell already. My search turned up a couple of sets. Without an item number it is hard knowing if they were the ones to which Ken was directing our attention.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I didn't get the number but the search was UK-eBay Marples chisels.

ken