Thread: Ball and Claw foot carving. Need 4x4 Mahogany posts

Ball and Claw foot carving. Need 4x4 Mahogany posts

I have always thought lowboys and Chippendale desks look awkward as legs too thin for upper case construction. I wish to carve the legs from 4x4 Mahogany stock 30 inches long but cannot find this thus far. Any idea on who might carry this?
    Thank you in advance.

Look for 16/4 mahogany rather than 4x4
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Don't know where you are, but 16/4 mahogany isn't too hard to find. Last week Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH had four different mahogany species in 16/4.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Don't know where you are, but 16/4 mahogany isn't too hard to find. Last week Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH had four different mahogany species in 16/4.
    Be careful with "different mahogany species" for this use. Genuine mahogany (aka Honduras mahogany) is the good one to use for hand carving. It cuts beautifully. There are other species on the market which are called mahogany, but are not. African, Phillippine, etc -- they're all considerable harder than Honduras, and don't carve as well. They also don't look like Honduras.

Thank you. I will call them. I was getting discouraged after calling a few of the big internet sellers.

Good advice. Thanks.

Irion lumber seemed like nice guys but wouldn't ship it. Newman Lumber in Gulfport MS found a Mahogany slab slightly thicker than 16/4 and 13 inches wide by 5 feet and shipped it and I had it in just a few days on my front porch. Hats off to Newman Lumber!

I know Irion has a substantial minimum order for shipping. Was that the issue or something else? Congrats on finding a good source and thanks for sharing it.

I buy Mahogany lumber from Irion all the time, they have a shipping minimum of 150 bd/ft, no minimum if you pick up the lumber from their yard yourself.

12/4 leg stock should get the job done for a ball and claw leg.

I filet 8/4 material when I need thicker legs. The filet is more stable, stronger and the joint disappears if done well

Johnny, are you talking about a scarf joint?

Bruce, I for one would be interested in seeing your project ... I love mahogany and the way it works by hand or machine...it's just a delight to deal with IMO...I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Johnny, are you talking about a scarf joint?
    No, I simply rip the board in half then fold it back on itself like a book. It creates a book matched joint for a perfect color and grain match. Also, the glue line becomes a break against any possible checking.