Thread: Precision T/S setup tools

Precision T/S setup tools

I just wanted to post some tools I use for table-saw setup that some folks may not be aware of. I’m sure some of you already know about these.

They are MasterPlate and SuperBar. MasterPlate is a precision ground flat aluminum plate you mount like a saw blade.

FD1EE4B3-E586-4796-8C5C-AF4BE01387FA.jpg E5115BCE-0B28-4CC5-811F-1D709AB8E699.jpg

SuperBar is a dial gauge with a plastic “sled” which slides in your miter slots.

Install MasterPlate like a saw blade and slide the SuperBar back and forth in a miter slot to determine if your blade is parallel to the miter slot. More precise and easier to use than a saw blade.

34FDE785-454D-46F2-BB48-ECDA4ABAD9FB.jpgBAAC67F6-FE1C-49AA-B4D3-47A1A90E6448.jpg

You can also use SuperBar to set your rip fence parallel to your blade. I usually set mine so the “far” end of the fence is about .002 in. farther from the blade than the “near” end is to help prevent kickback caused by the workpiece getting pinched between the fence and blade. (.002 in as about 1/2 the thickness of a sheet of paper)

5964F18B-FF2F-41D6-AC72-C174E7C5E612.jpg

If you mount the SuperBar (or any dial gauge) on a magnetic base, you can use it to check arbor runout on your T/S or drill press.

I don’t have any financial interest in either of these- just thought some of you might find them helpful.

I don’t remember where I bought them or the cost. Google should lead you to more information if you’re interested.

Gee that's what I do with a scrap of 1/2" BB plywood and a ten dollar (less 20%) dial indicator from HF. Find a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Gee that's what I do with a scrap of 1/2" BB plywood and a ten dollar (less 20%) dial indicator from HF. Find a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines."
    This is the way I do it to.

I've always found it difficult to invest that much money in what should be a one time setup. Seems like there should be a space for a rental situation with these things.

Wow- didn’t realize the prices had gone up so much! I got mine 20 years ago for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I've always found it difficult to invest that much money in what should be a one time setup. Seems like there should be a space for a rental situation with these things.
    I’ve had to remove my top for maintenance so it was necessary to set everything up again.

I bought that Masterplate one year, right at the end of the year, when I needed to spend some money on tools-maybe 10 or 12 years ago??. It was a fast decision, along with some other stuff. IF I had thought about it longer, I probably wouldn't have bought it, but do like it a lot better than using a blade. I used it to set up my three table saws, and will say that I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I was able to set my old Unisaw up dead on, and it's been a pleasure to use. I've used it a couple of times since then, to check after a move, and then it goes right back in the box it came in, and into the Setup toolbox.

I already had some alignment kit, but not that one. I forget which one it is, but it has some aluminum bars, and a bunch of different tips for a dial indicator.

I've also found the Master Plate to be pretty handy. My Grizzly Slider enjoys going out of calibration about twice a year so the plate gets used pretty often I also use it as a reference surface for when resetting the miter fence back to 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Thanks Bruce- wasn’t aware of that.

For most wood working a dial indicator does not have to be accurate at all. We are just looking to see if it moves or not. We do not really care about the actual distance moved just that it is repeatable and comes back to zero each time. So the HF cheapy is plenty good enough.
    Bil lD

I picked up the Masterkit at an auction a few years back. Not sure why you’re getting flack from people for using it.

I restore machines so I’m very happy to have it. I probably setup 8 tables saws (some multiple times after a move) over the course of the years since having it. A good investment for me.

Mark

A good dial indicator and mag base is a very valuable addition to any work shop. I would be suspect of the hysteresis characteristics value of a cheap dial indicator, and it is the hysteresis characteristic that is valuable for wood workers, more so that than the absolute measurement. Though both are important.
    Yes you can perform the same function with an acorn nut and feeler gauges, but a dial indicator is so much faster.
    Having "known" machined references, for machine setups, cannot be understated.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Matt I am not sure why you think someone stating that there is a cheaper alternative that attains the same basic result is "flak". Just another way to 'skin the cat'. That plate does look like a nice tool to have though.

Thanks for posting this Mark!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for posting this Mark!
    Of course- just trying to “hep”!