Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 65 or 66

Powermatic 65 or 66

Hello Forum,

New to the forum and also a newbie. Picked up woodworking a little while ago and looking to pick up a saw and found the Powermatic shown as attached.
    It is listed as: Powermatic table saw 220v
    Runs good ,sommerville fence

Wanted help in determining what it is worth but most importantly, what to inspect when I go see it. I am not sure if it is even possible to get parts for this saws anymore. Hope I can get some help and direction.
    Thanks ForumPowermatic 65 or 66 Saw.jpg
    Powermatic 65 or 66 Saw.jpg

Look at the parts and check are the castings. See if all the teeth are on the height and tilt racks, and see if the blade moves to or away from the fence on raising and lowering. It's three bolts to pull the table off. Bring some 5' 2 x 4 pieces, and you can slide it onto a bench. This will allow you to see the castings, to see if any are broken.

Put a straight edge on the table, in front of the blade. If there is a large trough worn, this could be a problem.

If you can, run it with and without the belts. You can pull the cover off the motor where the wires go in, and look for burning or absolutely crumbling wires. Open up the switch, and see if it has been smashed, or burned. The magnetic starter should operate smoothly when you push on it, with power disconnected.

It's a good saw, worth getting with no motor or switch, as long as the castings are good.

Finally, scrounge around the shop for that dust door. It might be sitting in the shop rat hole.

Thanks. Here are the other questions for clarification:

The straight edge check?
    The value of the saw in the pic and was told that it is still been used as of today?
    Would i be allowed to take the table off to check the gut?
    Is the dust dust and motor cover hard to fashion out of wood or sheet metal?

Thanks

Do you like to putter on things? It could be a nice saw and if you wanted to you could take it apart, clean it up, and paint it to restore it to looking like it did when new. But if you are just looking for a good cabinet saw that you can put to use with little work I wouldn't pay too much for it. I have a newer PM66 that I picked up at an auction not too far away from me. Including taxes and the gas I used to get it I have less than $250 into it. While I did some work to it the saw ran just fine when I got it. It's not the prettiest looking saw and maybe someday I'll restore it but for now I just wanted a good saw to use.

What I would look for is how true is the arbor. Parts for that saw are limited. Chances are the arbor can be replaced but a replacement might cost more than the saw itself. I would make sure both the height and tilt work as expected. If they feel a little hard they can be cleaned up and lubricated. Try to look at the gears and make sure the teeth aren't broken or excessively worn. They are parts that most likely you will only find used and like anything that's in limited supply the price is based on demand. While the table top is only held on with 3 bolts you would still need to remove the fence and extension table so I would just use a flashlight to look at things like the teeth and castings inside.

Without knowing what your finances are or what tools you would like to get it's hard to set a value. If spending $1000 on a good used saw that will provide years of trouble free service is out of your budget then this could be a good saw that will bridge the gap, possibly for years. If this is just the first used cabinet saw you've found that's not priced like it's make from gold then it might not be worth it.

Yes Alex. Cost is a factor as I am very limited at the moment. I am seeing other Rockwell Unisaw...vintage.... for 550 and above without as good a fence as this one. Also the other cabinet saw was listing from the 800s. I already picked up an Inca Jointer and Planer and a converted Shopsmith that I can use as a Drill Press and Lathe. I have been using a Craftsman table saw but cannot get the miter slots to work well. I am looking to get this and start using for now and then tear it down and spruce it up later. I offered 300 for this saw and the seller wont budge from $350. Picking up within 30 miles form me. I have seen R4512 for 350 and a R4511 for 400. But with the iron that these vintage saw are made with, better that the newer Hybrid type saws. I wish i was able to find a saw like yours at the same or similar price. So my thought was to check the following :
    The Raising and lowering shaft and teeth and the Tilting gears, etc
    The Arbor thread and Nut
    If allowed, removed the table top and check the trunions, etc
    Run the saw and make a crosscut and rip cut to see.
    Check table top for flatness with a straight edge
    Check the fence so make sure it is rigid and locks down firmly .

Any other thing to check on ?

Thanks

Where are you located? There's a Delta uni-saw for sale not far from me for $400. Saw looks like it's well taken care of and actually has the Uni fence. It's a steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fletcher View Post
    Where are you located? There's a Delta uni-saw for sale not far from me for $400. Saw looks like it's well taken care of and actually has the Uni fence. It's a steel.
    I am in the Los Angeles Area and have been scouring Cl for months. Where is the one you are referring to and is it the Right Tilt saw. Also, What in your opinion are the benefits of the Unisaw over the PM66.... both been vintage ish?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fletcher View Post
    And cast iron, and some aluminum in the fence...

Andy - Arlington TX

Screenshot_20200227-215405_Chrome.jpg
    San bernadino. If interested I can see if it's still available. I have a pickup so if you need assistance I can probably help.

Please do that and let me know. I have a Van so I can pick it up. I cannot view the image though as Sawmill is telling me that I do not have the privilege. Can you let me know. Need to know asap as I am scheduled to go see and maybe buy the other PM tomorrow morning. Is it a CL listing?

Not a CL posting. It is right tilt with a 52" uni fence. All it needs is a good shopvac to clean up the sawdust. I'll let you know if it's still available as soon as I hear back from him. Wish I could've gotten a deal like this before I bought my saw.

Just heard back. Saw is available. I'll try to work out some way for you guys to communicate.

I am waiting with a held breath wishing that it is still available and can be picked relatively quickly. I have a 2hp Dust Collector. Like I said, I have been slowly collecting my tools over the years. Do you also have and use the right tilt Unisaw as well? But plz do let me know about the saw in question.

Can I call him or is it allowed to post my email here for him to contact me...? I am open to whatever will make it easy

FB marketplace. I don't know the guy and since I'm not the buyer he won't give up any info. Can't say that I blame him. Location is Running Springs. Good luck.