Thread: Veneer question

Veneer question

When veneering both the top and edge, is there a standard order...in other words, do you do the edge first then the top? From looking at veneered furniture, I’d guess the edge first? Or does it matter?
    Thanks!

Typically, the edge is done first. This allows the top/face to protect the more delicate edge. It also allows the top/face to remain unbroken visually. In some environments, schools, stores, tradeshow fixtures and other situations of heavy usage, it may make more sense to apply the edge last to allow for easy repair.

Like Johnny, I do the edge first because it looks better from the top. The surface veneer covers the edge veneer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For mantels I do edge last, it's what you see.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

You didn't mention it, so I hope that you are also veneering the bottom. There is no greater veneer mistake than to not keep a balanced layup.

Thanks all for the quick replies. Richard, thanks for mentioning it, yes, the other side will be veneered as well.

Always veneer the edge first. Sliding stuff on top won't catch the edge veneer.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

"Veneered" edges

Unless I'm using highly figured and very spendy veneer I use matching solids on the edges. I laminate the edges for an oversized panel and then do the face veneering. I now have a panel that I can square up and make sure that I have a super tidy product with the crispest and most durable of edges. Even when using expensive exotics I'll often use a similarly coloured wood with the fancy veneer laminated to it to build up the edges. I really have little to no faith in veneer on the edges of sheet stock. Especially particle board. Extra time but great outcome.

My guess is that regardless of which surface is veneered last, the corner may chip under the right conditions, like formica tabletops and counters. One way to minimize damage is to veneer the top and bottom, then cover the edge with slightly thicker wood, ike 1/8". Another option I read about years ago but have never used or seen is to veneer the top and edge in any order, then make a 1/8" square rabbet and fill with solid wood. If I remember, the description suggested using a contrasting very dark wood. The result was said to be both resisant to chipping and decorative. It was called a "French edge."