Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me prepare my new Lie Neilsen planes

Blog Entries
    My recollection was the only set up required may have been to adjust the lever cap screw to set the lever cap tension.

The easiest way to see what needs to be done to a plane is to use it. Especially with a new out of the box plane.

There are videos on line that are very misleading. They suggest a new plane be taken apart and tuned up.

My expectation for a plane from LN or LV is they come pretty well fettled from the start.

Get to know the tool before making modifications.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not much setup required. I have a couple LN bench planes. On receipt I took them apart, wiped all the oils off of them, applied a little paste wax, honed the irons, set the chipbreakers where I wanted them, adjusted the frog to my desired mouth opening, tweaked the lever cap screw tension, and lubed the lever portion of the lever cap. All of 15 minutes after unboxing I was making shavings and leaving a pristine wood surface behind.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

In my experience chipbreaker front edges are never sufficiently finished for fine work. Some are ground at weird angles.

Blades are never really sharp, but most take little work.

I think we sent back two blades last year on account of significant bumps on the back.

Using a plane out of the box is like expecting your car to go without gas.

Good chipbreaker fit requires flatness of width and we don't want manufacturers grinding marks at the edge.

Best wishes,
    David

I’d look it over. Hone the blade and back starting at 2,000 grit and check the corners to see if the are slightly rounded. Adjust the chipper to the desired reveal. Plane some scrap and adjust the lateral bar.

I wouldn’t be surprised if none of this was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I’d look it over. Hone the blade and back starting at 2,000 grit and check the corners to see if the are slightly rounded. Adjust the chipper to the desired reveal. Plane some scrap and adjust the lateral bar.

I wouldn’t be surprised if none of this was necessary.
    Right. A hone and done. All the other stuff has been done for you. That's what you're paying the money for.

Useful discussion. It seems the upshot is that a premium plane will shave wood with minimal adjustment. For many tasks and, I suspect, many workers of wood, it can end peacefully there. But if one’s aim is to chase precision, any tool can be optimized. A saw can be used to cut wood without resharpening. Then there are those of us who know the nuances of finely sharpening a saw for precision cuts. Same with a bench plane, right?

Blog Entries
    My theory, especially on a new premium tool, is to use it and get to know it before trying to improve it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)