Visited Klingspor today and asked about a similar finish to the amber shellac and SW Classic Varnish top coat I usually use for Walnut but something different, less amber, for Bubinga. Guy there pointed me toward the Tried And True as looking natural, less colored, and a favorite of Christian Becksvoort. I'm a big fan of his, T&T comes in pints, and I promised to apply it as the counter guy advised,"really, really, thin".

Some Googling when I got home turned up that my Shaker preserving idol had issues with the stuff after his first infatuation and lot's of others panned it for not drying, etc., but I owned it.

Got out 2 pieces of Cherry I'd milled and prepped (but not sanded) for face vise jaws I didn't use. Just as in the video, I burnished one with a 3M Pad, dampened a corner of a Handi-Wipe and distributed the gooey oil on it, dipped again and squeezed out excess and applied "really, really, thin".

It's 60 minutes later. I wiped down the finish with the Handi-Wipe getting off just a bit of oil. The surface is dry to the touch. The color is virtually unchanged. I wouldn't say the grain "popped" but it looks good. You be the judge if the pic (the second piece in line is from the same board unfinished) does it justice.

I like it. I'll post again after 3 coats.

IMG_4859.jpg